Do snails carry ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The heat method is pretty much the standard treatment for ich. I have used it myself on multiple occasions. It is true that some fish are more susceptible to the higher temperatures but IME pretty much everything can handle it. I am currently using it to treat leptosoma and compressiceps and have used this method on catfish, tetras, live bearers, Malawi cichlids, etc without issue. I assure you it is safe.

Oh but I have to add this is only for tropical fish. The treatment if goldfish is entirely different.

Last edited:
I've only had white spot once. It affected my first two clowns, or to be more precise, I purchased two lovely looking I don't know what's that were black orange and white spotty all over. I phoned the shop to inform them and I was ridiculed. From that point on I tried to learn all I could. The method I used is the one I described as that was the reference source available to me. I haven't heard of the heat thing until here and now. You tube 4tanks2day for evidence of this. It's either fish tank stills or my fish house video. I have lost the account info to this page.
Edit-ever since I've quarantined and closely monitored all new stock.

I've only had white spot once. It affected my first two clowns, or to be more precise, I purchased two lovely looking I don't know what's that were black orange and white spotty all over. I phoned the shop to inform them and I was ridiculed. From that point on I tried to learn all I could. The method I used is the one I described as that was the reference source available to me. I haven't heard of the heat thing until here and now. You tube 4tanks2day for evidence of this. It's either fish tank stills or my fish house video. I have lost the account info to this page.

Ok you are talking about saltwater. Completely different beast! :) I don't know much but I know you can leave the tank empty (like you stated) or use hypo salinity to treat.

I know that they are delicate. They are my prize shoal! After the white spot incident. I got one for a birthday present. I bought a mate, added three more, built a big tank and added 6. They are all still alive, I haven't bought fish for over four years. My last shoal was Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi, black neon tetra. I got two batches of ten. There are 15 now.
Edit- the clowns are by my estimates 6-10 years old. I should add the first two died. I can look back through records for a specific date.

I've never quarantined my snails and I've never had an issue. I have a bunch of red ramshorns and my brother and I are also constantly moving them between our tanks. I personally think you'll be fine and find it a bit unnecessary to quarantine them. (Now if it looked all gross and was in not trusting conditions then maybe do that, but then again I wouldn't even buy it in that state anyway!)

As itch can be transferred in a single drop of water, intruducing a snail could infect the tank, if you also introduce the water.

Rinse it in clean, dechlorinated water, then put it in a container of dechlorinated water to for a while to be extra sure none of the original water travels with it.

Back
Top Bottom