Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-12-2005, 07:46 PM   #1
Rudy_627

Do these fish eat the same?

Does a Dwarf Gourami, Otto Cat, Red Phantom tertas, and cardinal tetras eat the same food like are they omnivores?

or should i just feed them flakes
Old 02-12-2005, 07:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to xxmoorishmanxx
No i would say u need a good floating food for the grouramis flake would work, the tetras should be ok with flake, but the otto would benefit from a sinking algea waffer. the more variety a fish is given they tend to be healthier and brighter, just be careful not to over feed

Old 02-12-2005, 10:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
Get some tropical flake food and some sinking algae wafers *nod*
one or two pinches of flake food for the tetras and gourami
and it depends on what size wafers you get... if they are the size of a nickle.. feed one per meal, but if they are the size of a pencil eraser.. put in a pinch of em (maybe 4 or 5 small ones) per meal

lyquidphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 11:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I feed my cat shrimp pellets.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediem
I feed my cat shrimp pellets.
ottos are algae eaters
Old 02-13-2005, 12:05 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am totally aware that otos are algea-eaters, I understood that she has a catfish as well.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:54 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi Rudy! Are you asking about these fish because you want to keep them in the 29 gallon your parents are toying with you about? If so I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents here. I have not kept otos, but I have heard that they can be very difficult to acclimate initially. And I have personally had terrible luck with cardinals, and that was when I put them into an established tank. I'm not saying you shouldn't keep these fish, but what I am saying is that they will probably not survive a cycle in a new tank, so your tank should be set up for at least a couple of months before you add these delicate fish. Not sure about the red phantom tetras and dwarf gourami though. Are you thinking about a fishless cycle? That would probably be easiest for you and your fish. This is just my opinion and as always, YMMV. You should post some pics, I would love to see your new setup.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 12:00 PM   #8
Rudy_627

hey i know all about the cycling and thats what i am gonna do im going to try out a fishless cycle

Tags
eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com