Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-28-2011, 10:07 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ponch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04
I agree. I think that sounds fine. You will have to be pretty diligent on water changes because of the bioload on the mollies, but IMO its quite do-able.
Do you have a plan for fry?
Thanks for the additional thoughts!

Re: water changes, I'll say on top of the nitrate levels and do what is necessary but am hoping that it won't be more than once per week. Do Cory's have a bio-load closer to a neon tetra or a molly?

Re: fry.... Will use the 5 gallon for the females to give birth and provide fry a safe haven and temporary home. Then either sell or give fry to the LFS. Anything else to consider here?
__________________

__________________
Ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #22
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator
 
absolutangel04's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 8,870
For corys, its about the same as a tetra of similar size, but less than a molly. Mollies have larger biolaod than many comparatively sized fish.
For the fry, no thats fine. I was just asking because some people don't look into places to sell or house them until they already have too many. It sounds like you are on top of that. I put my molly fry in a 5g grow-out tank until they are big enough to not get eaten my the angels in my bigger tank.
As for the water changes, you will have to wait and see how frequently it has to happen, but I am guessing once a week will be fine.
__________________

__________________
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, but thankfully they both led to fish stores.
absolutangel04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:13 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ponch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04 View Post
There are other little schoolers too if you wanted something instead of neons like penguin tetras, emeber tetras, and harlequin rasboras. You could get a bigger schooling fish instead of the neons like black neons, cardinals, kerri blues, lemon tetras, or Pristella tetras. I suggested the smaller ones first because they have less bioload so you can get a slightly bigger school of them or else ou can keep a small school and maybe be able to fit in one more molly.
i've been doing more research on tetras and see that both the penguin tetras and pristella tetras can tolerate a wider range of water conditions and therefore are hardier than most other tetras. I like the neons but now thinking I may prefer one of these breeds instead. They're all quite attractive. They would need to co-exist with 3 mollies and 4-5 cories in a 26 gallon though. Is any one breed best for that arrangement (neons / penguins / pristella tetras)? THX
__________________
Ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:42 AM   #24
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator
 
absolutangel04's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 8,870
IMO, any of those species would be fine. The penguins are not as common, so you can check your local availability. Behaviorally, any of those species would work out great. I recommend the penguins personally. Their small size means a bit less bioload and they are super cute!
__________________
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, but thankfully they both led to fish stores.
absolutangel04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:04 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: California
Posts: 116
If you do have live bearers like mollies be careful you could end up with more fish than you want. This could cause your bioload to skyrocket and end up doing more tank maintance or getting more filtration which could cost more money.
I had started out with a good mix of fish in my 55 gallon and have excellent filtration so I am not to worried but right now I have just under 48 fish and 4 african dwarf frogs. Some of the fish I did not buy they were from the live bearers. I had 5 red swordtails now I have 15 swordtails in addition to all my other fish but I could not get rid of them because they did not ask to be born. Trust me I could not get away with just one simple sponge filter or a simple HOB filter. So if you end up with a lot of fish you may have to get rid of some or rehome them or spend more money and upgrade the filtration but even then you might have teritoral problems etc in the tank.
__________________
"I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself. Fish are friends, not food." - Finding Nemo movie
FreshwaterFishJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ponch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04
IMO, any of those species would be fine. The penguins are not as common, so you can check your local availability. Behaviorally, any of those species would work out great. I recommend the penguins personally. Their small size means a bit less bioload and they are super cute!
Cool. Based on what I'm seeing on live aquaria.com though the penguins look like they grow bigger than the pristellas - 3" vs 2". See this link http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...79&pcatid=1579 and this one http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...48&pcatid=2748. Is that your experience too or no?
__________________
Ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Sisserydoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Melvin, Illinois
Posts: 438
My dg spends most of his time at the bottom, searching through the gravel for food.
__________________
Sisserydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:16 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ponch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshwaterFishJunkie
If you do have live bearers like mollies be careful you could end up with more fish than you want. This could cause your bioload to skyrocket and end up doing more tank maintance or getting more filtration which could cost more money.
I had started out with a good mix of fish in my 55 gallon and have excellent filtration so I am not to worried but right now I have just under 48 fish and 4 african dwarf frogs. Some of the fish I did not buy they were from the live bearers. I had 5 red swordtails now I have 15 swordtails in addition to all my other fish but I could not get rid of them because they did not ask to be born. Trust me I could not get away with just one simple sponge filter or a simple HOB filter. So if you end up with a lot of fish you may have to get rid of some or rehome them or spend more money and upgrade the filtration but even then you might have teritoral problems etc in the tank.
Thank for the thoughts - interesting experience you have had with live bearers - definitely appreciate the advance warning. One of the reasons I am getting mollies is to rear some fry. I do have a LFS that will take baby Mollie's and a 5 gallon grow-out tank so I *think* I'll be ok. I

Re: filtration I am setting up my 26 gallon With a aqua clear 30 hob and a 4x4 sponge filter. Not sure if that qualifies as "excellent" but would think its better than just having one or the other.

If breeding gets out of hand I figure i can always take the male back to the LFS and trade for another female.
__________________
Ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:20 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ponch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponch

Cool. Based on what I'm seeing on live aquaria.com though the penguins look like they grow bigger than the pristellas - 3" vs 2". See this link http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...79&pcatid=1579 and this one http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...48&pcatid=2748. Is that your experience too or no?
Just visited the LFS which had some Pristella tetras. They were significantly bigger than the neons I have now. According to the LFS They confirmed that pristellas get bigger than penguin tetras - like you said AbsoluteAngel. So I guess the live aquaria page is incorrect!
__________________
Ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:41 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
blackmolly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 359
i honestly think you'd be better just to get all females. they practically come pregnant lol, and they hold sperm so you'd still get plenty of fry... and if you wanted to, you could just raise a batch and pick out a male.
__________________

__________________
- Blackmolly
blackmolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
danio, danios, dwarf, gourami, mollies, neon, neons

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.