Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

do they mix well? Neons.zebradanios.mollies.dwarfgourami

Hi - would like to know if this list of community fish works in this tank size (26 gallon bowfront - pic below). Any thoughts? Good idea / bad idea? THANKS!!!
  • 6 neon tetras
  • 6 zebra danios
  • 4 mollies (1M,3F)
  • 2 dwarf gouramis

Old 12-24-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Personally, I think zebra danios do better in a longer tank than you have, so I would suggest scratching that idea. In smaller tanks, they tend to just get really hyper and annoy the heck out of other slower moving residents. 4 mollies will have a pretty decent bioload and a ton of babies, so I suggest cuttting that number down a bit. Neons will be fine. Dg can be territorial, and whether or not any given 2 will get along depends on the individual temperament of the fish. If you want to try that, I suggest plating the tank to break up the lines of sight.
I suggest 8 neons, 2-3 mollies and 1 dg.
Would you be open to suggestions of different species, or do you really have your heart set on these?

Old 12-24-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

I agree^^^
I just have to add I tried the two male DG in a heavily planted 70g tank and one still terrorized the other until he died.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:09 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have zebras, tetras, and 2 gouramis in my 55g and they get along just fine. Personality wise I would say yes, but I don't about your tank size. Im new and still learning myself.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04
Personally, I think zebra danios do better in a longer tank than you have, so I would suggest scratching that idea. In smaller tanks, they tend to just get really hyper and annoy the heck out of other slower moving residents. 4 mollies will have a pretty decent bioload and a ton of babies, so I suggest cuttting that number down a bit. Neons will be fine. Dg can be territorial, and whether or not any given 2 will get along depends on the individual temperament of the fish. If you want to try that, I suggest plating the tank to break up the lines of sight.
I suggest 8 neons, 2-3 mollies and 1 dg.
Would you be open to suggestions of different species, or do you really have your heart set on these?
Thx! Yeah the tank is not as long as i would have liked but all i could negotiate with the mrs zebras are so pretty so a bit bummed on that front. Re: the dwarf gouramis am totally open to just 1...was thinking 2 for companionship but if 1 will be happier alone so be it. That said I'm definitely open to species suggestions as I do want to maximize fish by intelligently using the top mid and bottom layers of the water. Thanks again!
Old 12-25-2011, 12:54 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two
I agree^^^
I just have to add I tried the two male DG in a heavily planted 70g tank and one still terrorized the other until he died.
Im a noob and Not looking to get into planted tanks yet so thinking will go with just 1 dg - thx for the thoughts!
Old 12-25-2011, 12:58 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie777
I have zebras, tetras, and 2 gouramis in my 55g and they get along just fine. Personality wise I would say yes, but I don't about your tank size. Im new and still learning myself.
Well good to know these are all compatible for the future. Maybe next Christmas I can go from 26 to 55 (or
more!). The thing I'm most excited about is the mollies - they're so personable also looking forward to watching them turn out fry! Thx for the thoughts.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:56 AM   #8
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Yeah, I personally LOVE mollies. I know they are pretty common, but I totally agree that they are really personable.
If you want to fill the tank levels, I would go with about 4 julii corys on the bottom, 6 neons, 2 mollies, the dg, and a couple of nerite snails.
There are other little schoolers too if you wanted something instead of neons like penguin tetras, emeber tetras, and harlequin rasboras. You could get a bigger schooling fish instead of the neons like black neons, cardinals, kerri blues, lemon tetras, or Pristella tetras. I suggested the smaller ones first because they have less bioload so you can get a slightly bigger school of them or else ou can keep a small school and maybe be able to fit in one more molly.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04
Yeah, I personally LOVE mollies. I know they are pretty common, but I totally agree that they are really personable.
If you want to fill the tank levels, I would go with about 4 julii corys on the bottom, 6 neons, 2 mollies, the dg, and a couple of nerite snails.
There are other little schoolers too if you wanted something instead of neons like penguin tetras, emeber tetras, and harlequin rasboras. You could get a bigger schooling fish instead of the neons like black neons, cardinals, kerri blues, lemon tetras, or Pristella tetras. I suggested the smaller ones first because they have less bioload so you can get a slightly bigger school of them or else ou can keep a small school and maybe be able to fit in one more molly.
Excellent - thanks so much. I will research some of the other schooling fish. I'd really like to have 3 mollies so will do a bit of planning around them. Do you think possible to have two sets of schooling fish along with the 3 mollies? Would I need to ditch the dwarf gourami and corys to make that happen? Merry Christmas!!!
Old 12-25-2011, 11:48 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi,

I don't know exactly how three mollies would go in a 26 G since they have huge bioloads.What's your filtration on the tank?

What schoolers did you want?

I think you can keep the cories, but you'd have to get rid of one school.

Merry Christmas to you too!

Tags
danio, danios, dwarf, gourami, mollies, neon, neons

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com