Do we need to up date to 2014/15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ricky 1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am reading a lot of posts that say, "over stocked", over "stocked", the filtration systems on the market now are far in advance to what we had in the past, and they are still getting better, think back to what we had years ago, some are like Rolls Royce now, my question is, should we still think, "one fish per gallon"...........:fish2:

The 1" per gallon rule was never very effective to begin with but I don't think that filtration systems are really the bottleneck in overstocking. The main issues that I typically run into are territorial species interacting well and nitrate production.

I have seen tanks that required 75% water changes twice a week because they had some many fish in them. With appropriate experience and the right fish it can be done but the maintenance can become overwhelming fast.

Also, like most things in the aquarists world I think that overstocking is very situational down to the specific fish and aquarium.

That being said, I think what has changed is what fish beginners are keeping. 10 years ago when you went in and grabbed some beginner fish they were live bearers and tetras. Now many people are starting with African cichlids. This requires very different guidance than we may have provided to the novice aquarist in years past.

You see I think doing a 75% WC alters the equilibrium of the water, smaller more often WC are more beneficial if needed, but these super canister filters are incredible as you know........

Yes, but as far as I know, the greatest canister filter on the market still doesn't remove nitrate. And that's arguably the bottleneck for stocking: You have to remove more nitrate than the fish are putting in. I could put 25 rummy nose tetras in my 20 gallon tank with my corydoras and rams and that would be ok if I did enough water changes to keep the nitrate below 20 ppm.

Regards to 10 years ago the filtration systems have moved with times and fish have they not?

You see I think doing a 75% WC alters the equilibrium of the water, smaller more often WC are more beneficial if needed, but these super canister filters are incredible as you know........
But more efficient filtration, in addition to removing particulate matter, only allows you to process more waste into nitrate. It doesn't remove it. So now your are creating lots of nitrate with your super efficient filtration and you have no choice but to do huge water changes to remove it. Now, lets be totally honest we are talking extremes here, but it does happen. Especially with species that overstock well like mbuna. I have seen 50+ adult mbuna in a 75g tank. All doing totally fine. I would not want to manage the water change regiment on that tank though.

Filtration has nothing to do with it. The bacteria haven't changed significantly since the start of fishkeeping. Ammonia converted to nitrite converted to nitrate. Nitrate must be removed by water changes. Sure, our filtration systems have become better at creating habitat for that bacteria. But you could have all the nitrifying bacteria in the world, and it won't change the fact that you still have to remove more nitrate through water changes than is being produced by fish waste. Until someone invents a filter that removes nitrate and doesn't produce some other waste, fish stocking guidelines will remain the same.

The last time I did a reading on my tank was a year ago until yesterday, my nitrate was 0.5

The last time I did a reading on my tank was a year ago until yesterday, my nitrate was 0.5
And the last time you did a water change? The age and type of your test kit? The amount and kind of fish in your fish tank?

I did a nitrate test on one of my tanks right now and it's over 200. Haven't done a test in 3 weeks. But what does that actually tell you, if you know nothing else?

I did a nitrate test on one of my tanks right now and it's over 200. Haven't done a test in 3 weeks. But what does that actually tell you, if you know nothing else?
It tells you that either your test is not accurate or you need to a series of large water changes unless you are in a fishless cycle. 200ppm of nitrates is an outrageous amount.

It tells you that either your test is not accurate or you need to a series of large water changes unless you are in a fishless cycle. 200ppm of nitrates is an outrageous amount.

Not exactly a fishless cycle. Maintaining my cycle while I wait for some goshdarn shelldwellers to put in it! Just been adding a splash of ammonia and some fish food every few days lol. Didn't realize my nitrate had gotten so high until I bothered to test it because I might finally get them in the next week.

But see? You wouldn't know that from me just saying the results of a water test! And I have a nice modern filter too!

I wasn't aware that nitrate test registered readings that low... Are you sure you didn't test for nitrite?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think the reason so many answers here are "overstocked" is because so many tanks have fish that are too big or too many or too aggressive. The fish are getting picked on and/or killed because there is no place for them to get away.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Im going to have to agree with everything thats been said about nitrates restricting stocking.

Yep, nitrates and also the footprint are the most restricting. No matter how over-filtered the tank is, fish still need room to swim, and nitrates have to be removed.

When I put my tank picture on, I was told by a mod I was over stocked, and that's before any readings were done, just by looking at my tank, what I am getting at here is, you are right about water chemistry it is very complex, but don't take it to extreme's, if I saw a picture of a tank and all the fish were gasping at the top, then we all know what to do........

I wasn't aware that nitrate test registered readings that low... Are you sure you didn't test for nitrite?

Sorry Coyne, it should have read 5.0, my mistake........:facepalm:

I agree with fishliker that over stocking is not just the amount of Nitrate produced but whether the tank is suitable for the species, size and temperament of the stock. Even small fish like a big tank giving them the freedom to swim and investigate, even though the environment is artificial.
My criteria for stocking, providing suitable fish are matched to the size of tank, is that no more than a 10ppm rise in Nitrate should be produced in a week ensuring that Nitrate never exceeds 20ppm. At that point any failure to WC puts the fishes health at risk.

Back
Top Bottom