Do you cycle your tanks with or without fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you cycle your tanks with or without fish?

• I cycle my tank with fish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I cycle my tank without fish

• I have cycled my tanks both ways

• I cycle my tank with fish and media from other tanks

• Total voters
I have cycled my tanks both ways.
Right now I have the Ocean Clear canister filter that will go on my new 180gal running on my 55gal letting it build up bacteria.
I also have the driftwood for the 180 in the 55 now.
I am starting to lean towards a fishless cycle because I dont want to put the fish through the stress of a cycle.

i think fish+media is most effective for speed of cycle and build up of bacteria 8)

Hi Pugwinkle and welcome to Aquariumadvice :)

You missed one option; instantly cycle the tank with BioSpira. I've cycled tanks with all the options: with fish, fishless, moving media and with BioSpira. I cycle all my tanks with media or BioSpira now. Unfortunately, BioSpira isn't available in Canada yet.

In my early days I used fish to cycle, then I switched to seeding/fishless, and now I, like Allivymar, use BioSpira exclusively, unless it is a very small tank I am setting up, in which case seeding usually does the trick.

does anyone know if/when biospira will be avaliable in Canada :?:

i cycled mine with a bunch of goldfish. harldy any died until i put the oscars in. then it was lunch time for the oscars. they were so happy. :p

No one mentioned planted tanks, and "silent cycling". totally my preferred method at this point.

Back
Top Bottom