Do you eat fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you eat fish?

• No - I eat other animals but not fish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - I'm a vegetarian

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
G

Just wondering - with all the concern about properly euthenizing fish, making sure they are not just healthy but happy, writing angry letters to Wal Mart - how many people turn around and eat commercial fish? Trust me, the last thing on a fisherman's mind is the happiness of the fish as they are butchered for market.

I DO eat fish, but then again I see fish more like plants (i.e. living things to be taken care of, but not pets), and less like household pets. I know I would rather have my whole tank of fish die than anything serious happen to my cat - and I would never even consider eating cat even if it tased delicious. So - do you eat fish?

I eat fish occasionally because I personally do not care for the fishy taste. River fish are just plain gross. The only fish that I will ever eat is my grandmothers blue gill or catfish.

I do not eat fish simply because I do not like it. If I liked it, I would have no problem eating it. I also think that your logic is wrong. I would not eat my cat but I do like pork and beef. All mammals.

I wouldn't eat my angelfish neither would my wife. She however loves salmon and flounder. All fish.

although i don't really care for fish.. i LOVE crab and lobster and shrimp. As well as beef, pork, and chicken.

I love my cats, i love my puppy, and i love my husband. However my fish and my snakes are more like... cool to have. They are living organisms in my care and they should be cared for to the best of my ability. And should one have to be put down, it should be quick, easy and as painless as possible.

Just like if you grew up on a farm... we had chickens and cows and a garden. WE butchered the occassional steer and that is also done in a humane way. When you go fishing.. don't you put your fish in a cooler of water??? That's what we do. Either that or they go directly on ice. Then when we get home the heads get chopped off and they get cleaned.

AshleyNicole said:
When you go fishing.. don't you put your fish in a cooler of water??? That's what we do. Either that or they go directly on ice. Then when we get home the heads get chopped off and they get cleaned.

When you buy fish from a supermarket or restauraunt they don't come from you local fisherman, they come from commercial fishing boats.

And as to rich - isn't it a pretty fine line between a salmon and a "pet" pike? Even if they started raising cats with the express intention of food (as they do in some asain countries that eat dog), I still wouldn't go near the stuff.

I do occassionally eat fish.. . Sometimes when i need to euthanize a fish, I do try to calm myself by reminding myself that in another circumstance, that fish could ahve been food.

the difference the way I see it, is that we take on a responsibility when we take on teh care for living beings. If we are going to ask them to live in small cramped spaces, and even teh most gorgeous tank ain't a lake.... then we need to try to make them as comfortable as possible.

this includes not burning their lungs with ammonia.. doing water changes to try to at least in a tiny way emulate the constant cleaning a true aquatic environment sees.

If I am going to put a little fish as a "pet" in a cage, then it is my job to try to research the other members of that cage adn make sure they don't terrorize a little fish.

I felt this way about my cat .. He was a free stray, but once I made him a pet, his happiness was my responsiblity. I spent thousands keeping this "stray" well, even after he became diabetic.. and did what I could to give him a good old age.. He died at 19.5 and I had him for 19 years.

sherry said:
If I am going to put a little fish as a "pet" in a cage, then it is my job to try to research the other members of that cage adn make sure they don't terrorize a little fish.

I felt this way about my cat .. He was a free stray, but once I made him a pet, his happiness was my responsiblity. I spent thousands keeping this "stray" well, even after he became diabetic.. and did what I could to give him a good old age.. He died at 19.5 and I had him for 19 years.

So you view your cat(s) and fish the same? I.e. god forbid, but if something bad had to happen to one or the other you view would be it could be the fish or the cat since both would be equally horrible? Like I said, for me I would rather lose my whole tank than have my cat hurt.

Not that I don't take care of my fish - I've been keeping fish for 10+ years and rarely have a fatality - but its just apples and oranges for me. I am interested in how for someone that its not how they can justify eating them though...

I eat fish, and i heard that over in japan and places that the common pleco is considered a delicousy, can you imagine that...blahhhhhhhhhhhhh

tropicfishman said:
I eat fish, and i heard that over in japan and places that the common pleco is considered a delicousy, can you imagine that...blahhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm sure they think people in the US that enjoy mountain oysters (cow's testicles) are even stranger.

Topic moved to the lounge as its not FW specific and most salties probably wont contribute if its in FW only forum.

I love all of my fish but I would be devastated if something happened to my cats. I get attached to the fish, sad when they die but do accept that as pets they are not the same as my cats. My cats are my babies, my fish are my pets. And yes I still do eat fish. I could drive myself absolutely crazy trying to rationalize everything in my head, there are many ways of looking at things. I still agree with Rich's assessment. I eat fish, I eat beef (mammals),I don't eat my fish and I certainly wouldn't eat my cats.

Zagz said:
I still agree with Rich's assessment. I eat fish, I eat beef (mammals),I don't eat my fish and I certainly wouldn't eat my cats.

Ok, I understand you wouldn't eat your fish or your cats - who would?!? But would you eat any fish? Any cat? If you answered yes to the fish and no to the cat (like me) how come? I've already given my reason.

fishfreek said:
Topic moved to the lounge as its not FW specific and most salties probably wont contribute if its in FW only forum.

Considering there is only about 25% of the traffic in the louge compared to the FW forum I doubt this is going to increase the amount of people who see this. Besides - isn't the lounge for "Posts not related to aquaria"? Next time I post I'll ask would you eat a freshwater fish so four times the number of people can see and respond :?

For me part of it is the way I was raised. Fish is a commonly accepted food and we are exposed to it throughout our lives. I know there are places that animals like cats and dogs are considered to be food. Here in Canada that is appalling. If I was raised in one of those other places, perhaps I wouldn't consider it appalling. I can't answer that honestly because the situation will never arise. I can't imagine ever eating a cat, but would I feel the same if I was born in a deprived country that had extremely limited food resources? Then again, they would not have cats as pets most likely. It is an extremely interesting subject. For me the reason I would eat fish and not cat is because I've tasted fish and for the most part enjoy the taste, I have never tasted cat, do not want to try because cats are considered to be pets in our society and not food.

Zagz said:
I have never tasted cat, do not want to try because cats are considered to be pets in our society and not food.

I agree, but from the way a lot of people talk on this forum the see their fish as pets in the same light as a cat or a dog. I don't understand it - looking at the complex behaviors and emotions shown by a cat or dog compared with the glassy eyed stare of a fish swimming circles - but its there.

Back
Top Bottom