Do you give names to your fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some of my fish have names. When I got the first tank and only had six fish it was fine, now I don't bother. My SDs are Benedict and Florentine (cause they look like weird eggs) my trilineatus are referred to as Geronimo and the magical band of fools. The panda cory is Baby, my sisters both tried to name my hatchet (Pacman/Eduardo) and the other 32 fish and snails are called whatever comes to mind depending on what they're doing at the moment: turd, goofball, whack job, little guy, etc.

I name mine or the kids do. My son even has names for my vampire shrimp :)

55 gallon elephant nose tank
16 gallon Giant African shrimp tank

I named all my cold/subtropical fish Dave,Ludo,Hoggle,Sarah,Didymus,Ambrosius fancy goldfish can you tell I'm a fan of the film Labyrinth. Delboy and Rodney me variatius platys. Don lino, Sharkey,George,Lennie,jaws2 Danios and Bob,Spec,Coraline and Malificient my wcm. You got to name them lol

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't now- when I only had a beta in college I did.

I am assuming my son who is 17 months now will want to name them once he is older

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My bettas always had names. Other than those the only fish I named are the two in my avatar pic, green sev named Tiny and oscar called Baby. Loved those two fish :(

I have named every betta I've ever had Hermey. I don't name the other fish though.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Only the bigger ones, My red crowntail betta is Big Red, My dwarf flame honey gourami is named Flash. my 2 new baby L144 plecos are Goldilocks and Buttercup, they are blue eyed, lemon yellow plecos. The rest aren't named. Alison

Hi Mad Dog! Thanks! We try to have fun with it for sure. And the names have to fit the fish, they aren't arbitrary. It's one of my favorite parts of getting a new fish

Fish names

Never really put much effort into names of fish. My snails and Ghost shrimp have names. all the ghost shrimp have French names (Philippe , Etienne etc) My snails are usually names around speed/haste (Chop chop, PDQ etc.)

My daughter named her gold fish "Puffer Fish" because I had puffer fish and she wanted one. The other Gold fish is "Rockin Baby". Don't know where that came from she was 2 she is now almost 5.

The kids named some of my fish "mister sprinkle cook" and "strawberry". Strawberry was a mean parrot cichlid that had to go back to the store. They still ask about him so no more naming fish. My son thinks my new red severum is strawberry come back so oh well I guess that one is named.

I name most of mine! Except my schools of tetras, kuhlis and harleys, I'm not that patient lol. But my GBRs are Klaus and Ludwig.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't name my endlers, as there are too many. I didn't name my 2 WCMMs because I can't tell them apart. Same for my two Golden Dojos. The rest, however, have names. They are: Angie, Propinquity, Lackadorsal, (doesn't have a dorsal fin, lol) Malibu, Spangle, Ezekiel, Trinket, Sierra, Cheeto, Sergio, Powder, (she's powder blue) Athena, Willow, Chrissy, Greta, Cranberry, Dapples, Amelia, Pixie, Cookie Dough, Dumpling, Macaroon, Tumbleweed and Norman. WHEW!

I named my first two bettas, but considering I'm no good at coming up with names in the first place I just don't even try.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I name all my fish, or at least try to. I have a betta named Al a swordtail named Finley, a platy named gobe, two guppies named Clara and Leroy, 4 corys named Star, Knight, Whiskers, and Kity, 5 various colored and patterned zebra danios named Sonic, Calvilier, Scout, Calivichi, and Coaty. A kulhi loach named Okefanoki, two skirt tetras named Phantom and Princess. And many more that I used to have, including my two favorites, two male Kenyis named Oscar and Moorri, sadly I had to give them away when I moved.

All 23 of mine have names, and my friends think I'm insane. But its fun :) My little sister names some of them, thats how I ended up with Puff the powder blue dwarf gourami and Joey Bubbles the Albino Bristlenose pleco. You know I just can't tell her no, no matter how humiliating it is. :rolleyes:

My names have always been pretty descriptive.
My three otos are named Oto, Cin, and Clus.
My platy was named Male Platy.
My guppy was named Female Guppy.

Took me so long to think those up. :)

Back
Top Bottom