Do you need females?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickschabener

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an all fancy guppy tank. I like the colors of the males. Do I need to have females in the tank or will a tank of all males "get along :D ?"

Welcome to AA, and greetings from a fellow Metro Richmonder!

The thing about guppies is that if you do decide to introduce females, you would need 3-4 (at least) per male because the males will pester the females endlessly, and create a very stressful situation. That would mean you would have a less colorful tank, with only a few males and many females. Then you get babies, and an overstocked tank, in just about no time 8O

I am no guppy expert, but maybe someone will chime in about males together. I certainly see them in the LFS all together, so maybe it can work. I have pondered this very issue myself because I really love the colors of the males.

It works good for me with just males in a tank. If I have more than one male in with my females, they will fight even with a 3 to 1 ratio.

Females Neded

Hi. It is not necessary to keep any females in with your male guppies. Just don't be surprised when the perform courtship rituals to one another. :D - Guppyman

"Just don't be surprised when the perform courtship rituals to one another."

My males have tried mating with everything in my tank except the Pleco. Multiple times :roll:

Your guppies will not fight with each other just because they are also male. They will however fight each other over a female. 1 tank full of males = no problems. Add one female = big problem.

Thanks for all the responses.

Tankgirl: I was trying to find a polite way to say "pester the females" but decided that coming from a guy, it was better left unsaid. :mrgreen:

Guppyman: I see that every day. :oops: Yuk.

I have a 29 gallon for "show" and a 10 gallon for the rest/breeding. The 29 gallon tank really looked good with just the colorful males. But, I thought I had to have females so I added some. Now the males don't stand out as much. I guess all the females are headed for the bottom tank.

Back
Top Bottom