do you need to change substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grace1234

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi!
I have a 2 1/2 year old healthy freshwater tank which is about 110 litres (sorry, im in the uk, not sure about gallons!!) with some fantail and common goldfish in it. I was just wondering if you should replace the substrate at all? I just have gravel which is about an inch and a half deep, which is obv regularly cleaned with a vac during my water changes. But is there ever a need to replace it/ take it all out and clean the bottom of the tank?
Thanks in advance!
Grace

Changing Substrate

Hi!
I have a 2 1/2 year old healthy freshwater tank which is about 110 litres (sorry, im in the uk, not sure about gallons!!) with some fantail and common goldfish in it. I was just wondering if you should replace the substrate at all? I just have gravel which is about an inch and a half deep, which is obv regularly cleaned with a vac during my water changes. But is there ever a need to replace it/ take it all out and clean the bottom of the tank?
Thanks in advance!
Grace

Hello Grace...

If the water chemistry in your 28 gallon tank is stable, you don't need to change anything. Standard gravel is fine. I'd recommend changing half the tank water every week or so. Goldfish are very high waste producers and you want to keep the water as pure as possible to keep your fish and any plants healthy.

Everything in the tank water will eventually dissolve. So, by removing and replacing a large volume of the water every week or so, you'll romove the toxins that dissolve in the water. Vacuuming isn't really necessary and the material that settles to the bottom dissolves and nourishes your plants.

B

Thanks! Yeah, I deliberately got a filter which was more powerful than normal for my tank size as I knew they were very messy fish. I do 25% a week and thats just right I think, in combination with the vacs and big filter. Thanks for confirming this, I thought it was probobly not necessary but I just wanted to check!
Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom