Do you need to float the bag before drip acclimation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pandicorn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm just wondering. I mean, wouldn't the drip introduce the temperature change slowly?

Introducing Fish

I'm just wondering. I mean, wouldn't the drip introduce the temperature change slowly?

Hello Pan...

Floating the bag in the tank, slowly makes the water in the bag the same as that in the tank. Pouring the water into the bag from the tank immediately could cause a rapid temperature change in the bag. Not the best situation for a sensitive fish. The bag from the fish store has just a little water in it. It won't take more than 10 minutes to get the bag water the same as the tank's.

B

It shouldn't matter much in terms of temperature changes whether you wait or begin the drip right away. Personally, I like to go in slow gradual steps to minimize stress.

Temperature is not the only thing to take into account when acclimating fish. You also need your fish to acclimate to the new water parameters. Drip acclimation is a popular method. Acclimation Procedure for Aquatic Life: Welcoming Home New Arrivals

He did say he uses a drip.
The short answer to the OP's question is , Yes, a drip should also stabilize the temps, but floating is the best way foe temp acclimation, just remember to wipe off the bag really good before floating. ;)
Just float the bag while you get the drip set-up in place, easy-peasy.

I'm gonna make myself a floating acclimation box.
Take a small Tupperware container of appropriate size.
drill a few tiny holes in the bottom so that the degree that the container will fill as it floats is equivalent to a drip. (testing required)
The water from the shipping bag won't get into the tank as long as the container is heavy enough to facilitate a constant flow of water into it.
When done, just net/scoop out your new critter and discard the water in the container.
Less moving of the new critter, and easier to manage than a drip set-up.
:)

OK just acclimated my GBR with drip acclimation. I started VERY slowly, for 45 min ish. Then, I drained half the water. I then kept the rate, and slowly increased it. I then net them after about 90 minutes

Fwiw, I purchase all my high end fish from one importer. He sends them in a box with heat packs and packed perfectly. He has the same parameters (pH mainly) as I do and the only thing I do is float. After about 20-30 mins, I grab the fish by hand and just plop them right in.

Fwiw, I purchase all my high end fish from one importer. He sends them in a box with heat packs and packed perfectly. He has the same parameters (pH mainly) as I do and the only thing I do is float. After about 20-30 mins, I grab the fish by hand and just plop them right in.

Fwiw? 7 chars

The only time I ever dropped was when I had to put loaches in with my african parameters, did it very slowly, other than that I buy my Africans from people who have same parameters as me, I only float for temp, net the fish and toss them in

Chris
Sent from my iPhone
???

Back
Top Bottom