Do you really need a heater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lt.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey y'all, I'm getting ready to start a new fish tank and was wondering... To cycle fishless, do I NEED a heater?

I simply can't afford a heater right now, but will be buying a filter and sand/dirt for my tank.

I planned on adding some pure straight up ammonia to the tank to start it cycling, in case that matters.

I don't believe it would make a difference. However I do believe I read somewhere that the bacteria cultivates faster in tropical conditions. That's a completely unbased statement unless I can find where I read it.

And don't have a light on either. A cycling tank is a perfect place to grow algae but that needs light.

A heater is unnecessary for cycling even though beneficial bacteria will thrive in tropical climates. Needed: no. Recommended: yes.

Good luck with your cycling!

Hey thanks for the input guys, yeah I figured that's about how it would turn out, greater recommended but not necessary.

I'm just sorta winging this build right now since I'm buying a thing or two each payday. I had to get rid of most everything a couple years ago for a move, by now am building back up at last.

Hey thanks for the input guys, yeah I figured that's about how it would turn out, greater recommended but not necessary.

I'm just sorta winging this build right now since I'm buying a thing or two each payday. I had to get rid of most everything a couple years ago for a move, by now am building back up at last.

Pics whenever you can!

Back
Top Bottom