Do you thaw frozen foods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamsAquarium

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've heard a couple people say they thaw their frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp because they heard there might be metals or other things in it that's bad for the fish.

What are your opinions? Do you drop the whole cube in the tank (frozen)?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I rinse mine off in a shrimp net, rinsing who knows what out and thawing at the same time. No problems thus far for me.

I hold my cubr near the filter flow this thaws it out quickly in the tank water and worms go in to water

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've heard a couple people say they thaw their frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp because they heard there might be metals or other things in it that's bad for the fish.

What are your opinions? Do you drop the whole cube in the tank (frozen)?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Actually packaged fish food goes through more cleaning and sterilization than most food for humans and is probably more sterile/cleaner/safer than the last burger you ate.
where do people get these ideas about metal being in frozen foods??

seriously, think about it. how long do you think such a company would be able to sell their food if it were contaminated?

I let mine thaw out in a container with a little bit of tank water then I use a pipette to feed rather than just putting it all in at once.

Actually packaged fish food goes through more cleaning and sterilization than most food for humans and is probably more sterile/cleaner/safer than the last burger you ate.
where do people get these ideas about metal being in frozen foods??

seriously, think about it. how long do you think such a company would be able to sell their food if it were contaminated?

I let my thaw out in a container with a little bit of tank water then I use a pipette to feed rather than just putting it all in at once.

+1 my sentiments exactly

Just throw the cube in.. this may cause a new thread to pop up... can fish get brain freeze?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just throw the cube in..

My only problen with that is theres a lot of food in a cube.. thats 3 days of feeding for my salt water tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
My only problen with that is theres a lot of food in a cube.. thats 3 days of feeding for my salt water tabk.

Right right , I cut it to the appropriate size for the feed first, just throw it in vs. Any type of thaw is what I meant

A product was just made that you stick on the side of the tank and throw a cube in. The water current swirls it around thawing it out and ejecting food slowly for the fish to feed on.

Nice product, but i think my trigger would go berserk and murder all his tank mates because of inpatience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive thrown some in on occasion, but usually use a turkey baster and spot feed. Helps ensure whoever it is I'm intending to feed gets fed without worrying about some of my pigs chowing it all down

I thaw my frozen bloodworms in a cup with some tank water and pour it near my filter output. It disperses it throughout the tank.

what often happens when you toss in a frozen chunk is that it thaws to the point that it loses buoyancy then sinks to the bottom of the tank,
or
the biggest, meanest or fastest fish in your tank grabs it and runs into a corner and eats the majority of it, that is what my longnose hawk does.

by thawing out the food and using a pipette or similar you are able to meter out the feeding and not waste as much.
I thaw out two cubes of food then over the course of the next hour or so I feed them a bit about every 10-15 minutes until they show no interest.
that feeds two tanks (about 35-40 fish/critters total)
But my tanks are also in my home office and sits literally on or inches from my desk, so it is easy for me to feed that way.

what often happens when you toss in a frozen chunk is that it thaws to the point that it loses buoyancy then sinks to the bottom of the tank

I do this with frozen bloodworms, but cut the frozen cube in half (or into thirds) before tossing it into the tank. The unused portion goes back into the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom