Do you turn off filter when water changing with python?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
When I change water with a python water changer, then re-add water with the python, I add my Prime during the water is filling tank, but I am worried the Seachem Prime won't declorinate the water fast enough and my beneficial bacteria will die off in my filter.

So I turn filter off and restart when I feel it's safe around 15 minutes later.

Is this necessary? Or should I just leave it on all the way through the process?

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I turn my filter off during water changes because I don't like the way my spray bar splashes when the water level is below it. In my opinion, running it with low water levels can put strain on the impeller if it's a HOB as my hob stops pumping when the water reaches a certain point.
Prime dechlorinates instantly, but it is based on a ratio, so remember to add enough to treat the WHOLE tank, not just the amount of water you are changing. Overall it's up to you as there aren't many "right" or "wrong" answers to these things.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the response.

I have a canister filter, so im not worried about the water level etc.

I'm just worried about the new water killing off the BB in the filter.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I turn off filters during water change because the water level gets low enough to break the siphon so the filters won't pump anyways.

I personally turn off everything just to be safe when im doing a change

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Turn off, but mainly so easier to clean one of the 3 HOB filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I ended up buying one of these so I can individually turn things off. Makes it a lot easier than digging for a specific cord. But yes, I turn off my filters during water changes.

51O9IEqZqbL._SL1000_.jpg

Depends on what tank I am doing. My 90 gallon has canister filters and in line heaters so that one I do not shut down, Others I have to turn off because of HOB filters and immersion heaters. So for me it really could go either way.

I turn my filter off during water changes because I don't like the way my spray bar splashes when the water level is below it. In my opinion, running it with low water levels can put strain on the impeller if it's a HOB as my hob stops pumping when the water reaches a certain point.
Prime dechlorinates instantly, but it is based on a ratio, so remember to add enough to treat the WHOLE tank, not just the amount of water you are changing. Overall it's up to you as there aren't many "right" or "wrong" answers to these things.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1 to this. If I didn't turn off my filter my canister would spray the whole room. I always turn off filters and heaters.

Caleb

I ended up buying one of these so I can individually turn things off. Makes it a lot easier than digging for a specific cord. But yes, I turn off my filters during water changes.

51O9IEqZqbL._SL1000_.jpg

Mebbid, what is that and how does it work?

Back
Top Bottom