Do you use the same filter on all tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Does using similar filters on multiple tanks matter?

• Yes it matters, makes for cycling a new tank easier.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, doesn't matter at all to me.

• Not sure...

• Total voters

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just wondering if using the same filters on multiple tanks is more popular, or doesn't really matter.

For me, I like sticking to the same brand, such as Emperor in my case, as when its time to start a new tank, the media is swappable, or I can run new equip in my current filter prior to setting up a new tank, jump starting the cycle.

No, I don't run the same filter on my tanks. In fact, now that I think about it, no two tanks have the same filter! I had not realized this, but when I think about why each tank is filtered the way it is, I see that each tank has different requirements, or different esthetic goals.

My room divider tank, for instance, is a 37g so I could have used an HOB, but I have a couple of small canister filters on it so there is no box hanging from it to keep visible equipment to a minimum. I have used the filter floss from a canister and rubber banded it to the filter cartridge of an Eclipse system, so I don't feel terribly limited in terms of seeding a new setup.

Interesting thread! :)

I cannot agree more. I use a biowheel on my livebearer tanks. I use an aquaclear HOB on my Brichardi tank. I use a fluval on one planted tank. I use a rena filstar on another. Really depends on what I am trying to accomplish in that particular tank.

HOB on 30 gal and canister on the 75 gal planted. I agree with Simpte in that, the type of filter really depends on the individual and the needs of the specific tank.

Yes and no.
I run cannister filters on my 29 and 58 gal - a Fluval 304 and an Eheim 2026 respectively. Not very hot-swappable. :wink:

On my smaller tanks, I run Penguin minis and sponge filters. I love these filters because they ARE hot-swappable between tanks. When I need another hospital or quarrantine tank, I can pop in one of the cycled sponges or biowheel filters into a 5 gal bucket.

The sponge filters are ugly, but incredibly useful. I use them to seed new tanks, and they're a great insurance policy in case one of my filters fail.

I agree, great thread! :D

i use xp3 for my turtle tank and penguin biowheel on breeding tank. just because the breeding tank is inches off from the floor, filstar XP cant do the job.

Along with my Emperor 400, I may add a cannister filter, either a Fluval 304 or 404. That way, when I go through further upgrades (larger tanks), I will have cycled media at the ready for either HOB Biowheel or cannister.

i like the Emperor 280 for all small tanks I have, and the 400 for larger tanks. Been happy with them. My only complaint on my small tank is the input for the Emperor is on the right side of the filter and the cutout for the hood is on the left side of the tank. So I have no choice for now but to have the input coming down the center of the back of the tank. But it does give a good place to prop my driftwood up against, the one that looks like a wishbone and will soon be covered in java moss hopefully, if it will grow faster, lol.

On my big tank I use 3 cannister filters, all other tanks have HOB filters, 3 are aquaclears, 1 emporer and 1 I'd have to look at it came with the free tank LOL.

I voted yes, but I think the vote description is a little off.

It doesn't help my cycle tanks faster to use the same brand of filter. I use the same brand because I found what I like, I know how to maintain it, and they work well.

the other half of the 'yes' vote about cycling...using the same brand/size of filters, and thus filter media, does help with cycling times in most situations. For example, an Aquaclear HOB can hold two sponge blocks, and filter floss. When you get a new tank, take one used sponge and put it in the new filter with one new sponge...and put a new sponge in the old filter to replace what you swiped. The old tank shouldn't take a mini-cycle hit, and the new tank should be able to be stocked immediately, but not fully (start at 25% stocking, so there is ammonia to keep the bacteria alive, and spreading)

I voted yes.

I use the same brand of filters, Rena canister filters on all of my tanks. This makes maitenence easy as the media is swappable as well as parts. As for different requirements for different tanks the canisters can be organized with different media inserts for different needs. With these you can customize your filters for the tank you are maintaining. I also do this because I'm happy with the filter, it works well and I'm familiar with how to maintain it.

I'm not sure, since it depends for me.

Using the same filter can easily transfer diseases from one tank to another and than you'll have to fight all tanks at the same time. Further, you could maybe keep some different fishes, when adding peat moss to one and crushed corals to the other for example.

On the other hand it's easier and probably cheaper to buy one bigger filter than many small ones. Filter maintenance will be easier too, just one filter to clean.

Tiffi, I think the question is more about brand loyalty than using a central filtration system for multiple tanks - like using only AquaClear filters on all tanks so that the media can be transferred to seed a cycle.

(Unless I misunderstand your post, or maybe I am misunderstanding the poll, lol!)

Yup, not talking about a central filter system. It's more about being loyal to one brand or not. As for me, I'm stuck on Emperors, so if I add a new tank, I can swap media to seed the new tank. I'll probably be adding a cannister filter in the near future, Christmas is coming, lol. For some people it doesn't matter, and for some, they like the ability to swap media, parts, etc. For instance if something breaks, say the impeller, and you have a spare filter of the same brand just laying around, you don't have to go out and buy a whole new filter and risk re-cycling, just have to replace the impeller unit and keep the same filter going.

I use sponge filters on my 10 and 20 gallon tanks because they are cheap, reliable, easy to maintain and great for rearing fry. All of my sponge filters (Azoo brand) use the same size sponges with 2 and 4 sponges in the 10 and 20 gallon tanks. There is the added advantage that I can take one of the mature sponges and put it in my quarantine tank when I need to jump start the biological filter.

I used to have Penguin BIO-Wheel 330 and 170 on my 30 and 29 gallon tanks respectively which meant that I used the same filter cartridges for both but I replaced the 330 with a Filstar xP1 (best filter decision I ever made). If I ever get another tank 30 gallons or larger I would definitely get another Filstar because it is so good.

I use emperor and aquaclear filters on my bigger tanks (plus a canister going onto the 75g), and all different internal and external filters on my smaller ones. I do like the aquaclear and emperors the best though.

Back
Top Bottom