Does anyone else feel guilty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rach101

Aquarium Advice Addict
I finnally set up my 55 Gallon, as my brother's girlfriend was getting rid of the equipment for hers. There was only one catch : The fish. I had planned a south american theme, but I had to take care of the fish that were in her tank. Most of which aren't south american. I thought about giving them away to a pet store, but I feel too guilty :( Even though I know I'm especially going to have to give up the clown loaches within the next few years. (( They're around 5 inches now ))
Anyone else have this problem?

Im sure you could find someone familiar with the hobby to take the fish off your hands and go to a good home by posting in forum classifieds.

Local aquarium societies are a great way to get rid of fish to dedicated hobbyists. That is the best way to get rid of fish that are too big or fish that have been donated to us. I don't feel guilty if I know the fish are going to a good home.

it doesn't need to be 100% authentic, besides unless you have aquarist friends, i doubt anyone will go "You fake, loaches are Asian"
if your giving the fish a good home in your tank, isn't that better than authentic?

i know i'd be upset if i gave my stuff (fish included) to someone, and stopped by to see them later, only to find out my friend gave all my fish away, and bought new ones

Reply with Quote Report Post
it doesn't need to be 100% authentic, besides unless you have aquarist friends, i doubt anyone will go "You fake, loaches are Asian"
if your giving the fish a good home in your tank, isn't that better than authentic?

i know i'd be upset if i gave my stuff (fish included) to someone, and stopped by to see them later, only to find out my friend gave all my fish away, and bought new ones

Well I really want a themed tank, so it's important to me. As for the friend thing, she wouldn't be upset at all. I just feel guilty. If I hadn't of taken the fish she was going to flush them. O_O
(( She's not a bad person just not a fish person like us ))

Give them away and say they died if she asks. She's not a fish person so she won't care.

The local Craigslist is also a great way to find homes for them, if you're in a major city.

Edit: If you're worried about the person getting them offer to deliver, that way you can take a look at the tank to ensure it's actually as they described via phone/email.

I inherited a 37gal tank that included a rubber lip pleco. Because he had already outgrown the tank, I donated him to a lfs and they were happy to take him. If you know that you're giving up your fish in their best interest (the clown loaches especially), then you shouldn't feel guilty. Enjoy your tank theme! ^_^

Rach101 said:
I finnally set up my 55 Gallon, as my brother's girlfriend was getting rid of the equipment for hers. There was only one catch : The fish. I had planned a south american theme, but I had to take care of the fish that were in her tank. Most of which aren't south american. I thought about giving them away to a pet store, but I feel too guilty :( Even though I know I'm especially going to have to give up the clown loaches within the next few years. (( They're around 5 inches now ))
Anyone else have this problem?

What part of NC are you in? If you're close enough I'll take the clown loaches off your hands.

Back
Top Bottom