Does anyone find themselves buying fish based on their life expectancy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catfish Lover

Aquarium Advice Freak
After being in the hobby now for close to 4 years I find myself doing that. We've all probably bought mollies, platies and guppies when we first started in this hobby but I found it frustrating that these guys only lived 2-3 years at best. I now will only get fish that have a longer lifespan which I consider to be 7+ years. I find it hard to grow attached to fish that have a short lifespan. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this subject.

I personally consider lifespan a very important consideration in acquiring fish - for many reasons. This hobby is expensive and long-lived fish can be a great way to cut costs in the long run.

I'm not totally against a 2-3 year fish or even annuals like killies, but lifespan vs. cost comes into play when stocking a tank for sure.

I have some of both. I have a large 125 gallon planted with fish that range from 5-10 years in lifespan, and I find myself buying fish of one particular species at different stages in life so that as you lose them to age, you aren't losing one whole species that were around the same age. Then I have my 40 breeder tank with the live bearers and a 33 of small schooling fish....a little of everything ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I mostly keep guppies, and while individuals will only last a few years, I've had this colony going since 2010 (I've also spread it to my brothers 55g lol). I get some new blood in every so often, take some out that aren't really my colors, I find the variety and seeing what pops up to be fun.

That being said, my dream is a goldfish tank that starts with tiny babies and getting to keep them for YEARS. I would also love a cichlid tank like this as well. Just don't have the room for this right now :(

Having a fair number of fish that will last 20 years or mode, i stopped worrying about the lifespan of fish. The shorter lived fish just allows me to change around my aquarium when they pass away and change hp my stocking.

Back
Top Bottom