Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-23-2011, 11:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

does anyone have a sun cat or a knight goby ??

i got bolth of them for free as a rescue yesterday from someone who knows nothing about them..just wanted to flush em...well i put them in my 75g fw thats been up and running for a month now. i have a jack, a few snails and 2 convicts in there. all the fish are about 1 inch in size.. well the goby is 1 1/2 inch and the sun cat is about 2 inches...

well heres the deal, i didnt want them to get flushed so i put them in my tank. its been 2 days now and every body gets along just fine. although the cat was just hanging out in my plant for a day..well today i did some reasearch on the cat and goby and found out they are brackish water fish..but they can handle fresh water just fine...also that the cat is nocturnal ..and so i turned my light off for a while and lo and behold he was swimming around the tank like a champ...now that the lite is back on he has been hiding in the cave.......anyway does anyone have either of these fish?? and tell me a lil bit bout yours.....thanks guys

Old 09-23-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have two sun cats. They aren't brackish water fish, if that's what you were saying, I think I might've misunderstood.
The cats are fast growers, shy during the day (they tend to hide), but rule the tank during the night. They also eat all food like little vacuums and usually have a belly on them. They've been reported to get 14"+, but are more common to be about 6-10". One of mine is 6" and I've had it for about a year.
Mine seem to like each others company but are fine solitary.
If you have any other specific questions about them feel free.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

no my bad..i mean the goby is brackish...
Old 09-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, I thought so haha, just making sure!
The sun cats do get a huge mouth on them as they get older but mine haven't been aggressive. They haven't eaten any of my little fish either.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

well the goby is sleepn with the fish's.... he went belly up this morning....i was thinking bout cut 'n him up for catfish food....lol
Old 09-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I believe the knight goby won't live very long in FW. They're in the mid-range brackish water as an adult but can tolerate some lower-end brackish water as well. Your goby is better off in your tank than in the toilet though lol.

Tags
goby

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com