Does anyone have a "wet pet"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivers2k

Aquarium Advice Addict
Wet pet - a single fish kept in a tank as one would keep a dog or cat, usually pampered and definitely named :).

Back in the day when space and money was limited I kept a single mbuna then after a heater accident a single puffer. There was something rewarding about it been thinking of possibly dedicating a tank to a single fish again this time one that gets large. Not sure what yet but thinking what to do after we finish our remodel.

I would love to here if anyone else does this and would love to see pics and names.

My demasoni was called animal - after the muppets :)

My puffer was named Christian sorry I don't have any pics.

Oh and my wife had a Betta I got her in college name Guapo. Don't know where she got the name but that was most pampered and longest living betta I have ever scene.

I have one elephant nose fish in my tank and he's treated like my pet i definitely treat him differently than any other fish I've had. And spend time talking to him yep I'm mad lol he's definitely spoilt.
He's called Gonzo from the muppets.

ForumRunner_20131127_203519.jpg

My Oscar is with 2 other fish but I consider him a wet pet! I used to have a single Oscar 8 years ago named Bruce he was a champion and would take worms out of my hand. The one I have now though always follows my hands and I can hand feed him as well.

My Oscar is with 2 other fish but I consider him a wet pet! I used to have a single Oscar 8 years ago named Bruce he was a champion and would take worms out of my hand. The one I have now though always follows my hands and I can hand feed him as well.

That's cool never did hand feeding. But had fish that followed my fingers.

It's pretty neat. It's fun having a big fish just take food out of your hand.

This is Diddy P

Here is my puffer fish tetraodon Biocellatus. The figure 8 puffer fish.

It is my third specimen of this type. Species only.
First one had no name, second one was called spud-u-like.

I've had him since 12th November 2013.

He lives in a DIY tank roughly 60x30x30 cms with a Fluval 205 filter. Currently tank is at 24'C and SG 1.004.

This fish and others just like him (other figure 8's) are very cool. I would recommend them to anyone willing to go the extra to keep them.
Personality is second to none.

I had a hypostomus called George and my biggest clown loach is called "the big D" (Diane) after the lady who bought it for me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 164
I have one elephant nose fish in my tank and he's treated like my pet i definitely treat him differently than any other fish I've had. And spend time talking to him yep I'm mad lol he's definitely spoilt.
He's called Gonzo from the muppets.

View attachment 209578

I saw this on "what have you done with your tank" I was going to ask about Sesame Street but that confirms it! Great name

I am going to be doing this with a figure 8 (ok there will be a waspfish as well but the f8 is the main attraction) I always thought handfeeding was cool (a red tailed catfish that I can hand feed is my never gonna happen dream fish). I am concerned about the beak with a pufer though......

I am going to be doing this with a figure 8 (ok there will be a waspfish as well but the f8 is the main attraction) I always thought handfeeding was cool (a red tailed catfish that I can hand feed is my never gonna happen dream fish). I am concerned about the beak with a pufer though......

An F8 won't bite like a MBU puffer! That thing will snip a finger off!
Clowns can be hand fed (ish) worried about pointy tongue but they will certainly take food from the bowl I'm holding.
I'm not certain my f8 sees my finger as food, he checks it out but doesn't bite it.

Check compatibility, the f8 is VERY territorial.

An F8 won't bite like a MBU puffer! That thing will snip a finger off!
Clowns can be hand fed (ish) worried about pointy tongue but they will certainly take food from the bowl I'm holding.
I'm not certain my f8 sees my finger as food, he checks it out but doesn't bite it.

Check compatibility, the f8 is VERY territorial.

Unfortunatly there is very little info about waspfish so I think I will be trailblazing on this one. I just hope if I hand feed him he doesnt take a hunk of my finger with it....

ForumRunner_20131127_214239.jpg

ForumRunner_20131127_214253.jpg

ForumRunner_20131127_214304.jpg

My 7" male jag in his 125 gal, been looking for a female for him for a few months now with no luck. Got him from the LFS when he was about an inch long and started calling him Mister Jaggins one day and the name just stuck. He doesn't play well with others and just in the last few weeks has made water changes more difficult, attacking the gravel vac when I approach his cave.

Here is my puffer fish tetraodon Biocellatus. The figure 8 puffer fish.

It is my third specimen of this type. Species only.
First one had no name, second one was called spud-u-like.

I've had him since 12th November 2013.

He lives in a DIY tank roughly 60x30x30 cms with a Fluval 205 filter. Currently tank is at 24'C and SG 1.004.

This fish and others just like him (other figure 8's) are very cool. I would recommend them to anyone willing to go the extra to keep them.
Personality is second to none.

I had a hypostomus called George and my biggest clown loach is called "the big D" (Diane) after the lady who bought it for me.

Cool I love puffers by far my favorite type of fish.

My 7" male jag in his 125 gal, been looking for a female for him for a few months now with no luck. Got him from the LFS when he was about an inch long and started calling him Mister Jaggins one day and the name just stuck. He doesn't play well with others and just in the last few weeks has made water changes more difficult, attacking the gravel vac when I approach his cave.

Very cool fish. Nice color too. When I get room for another tank I may think of getting a jag.

RTC is a dream fish for me to. Would love one but will never have room for 600 gallon tank. They are so cool when they are smaller wish they would stay that size.

My girlfriend has a wet pet betta named Ripley after sigourney weaver in the alien films. Also I thank guapo means handsome in Spanish.

RTC is a dream fish for me to. Would love one but will never have room for 600 gallon tank. They are so cool when they are smaller wish they would stay that size.

Yea me too. My LFS hsd a 1.5 footer that was awesome. Although a 5 foot catfish breachjng so you can hand feed it sounds pretty awesome too lol

Back
Top Bottom