Does anyone have an older betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An t-iasg

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone,
I've had my betta for a year and eight months, so he's probably at least a year and 10 months old, maybe 2 years. He's not sick but I've been noticing some things lately.

He used to follow my finger really well. He would follow it over to the food. Now, he doesn't do that as well. I can't get his attention with my finger sometimes, and he doesn't follow it well either. His eyes are not cloudy or anything. It's almost like he can't see the food. I have to be really careful when I feed him so he'll get the food. But when he does see it, he almost jumps up out of the water a little in his excitement to get it! If he was sick, he wouldn't do that. He still does swim up to the top almost immediately when I take the lid off to feed him, but then it seems like he has trouble seeing the food.

He also hasn't made bubble nests in almost 4 months. He used to constantly have one started. I just wonder if he's getting old? :(

my betta is also about 2 years old, but he instantly realizes when I am there.. waiting for food. I never knew they made bubble nests, I ahve never seen one before...

My first betta fish lived to make it to three years (possibly over because you never know how long the pet store has them for). He only made bubble nests once in a blue moon, and then only in the first six months I had him. Though at the time, I had no idea what they were - no fishy forums to read on! I think I ended up changing the water in his bowl every time I saw them. LOL Poor guy.

As for not following you anymore, I don't know that I can assist you. Mine followed my finger, flared up at me, came up to 'kiss' the glass of the bowl when I did, and had no problem finding his food right up to his last week of life. He did seem to slow down his last week, though I didn't get the feeling he was blind. I just got the feeling he was tired. The last day he didn't eat in the morning, so it was no surprise when he wasn't alive when I came home from work. But boy how I cried anyway.

My guy is only about 8 months or so and he has pretty much stopped making bubble nests. But still has no trouble getting his food.

My neighbor has had her son's betta for over 7 years and he's still kicking. He doesn't make bubble nests anymore. Maybe if you try some new food he might be able to "see" if more clearly. Too bad they don't make betta food for "seniors". I hope your little guy is okay!

My sister in law just just lost a betta that she has had for 4 yrs. I have 2 betta and neither one have ever madea bubble nest that I have seen!!! Maybe they are just lazy I dont know. He might just have poor eye site.....maybe he is near sited and when he sees the food he thinks that is not as close and he lunges for it. I dont think they have made fishy glasses yet. :wink: I'll look around and see what I find...I have a book coming from amazon on betta so maybe I can find something there. Prayers for fishy!

Thanks for the great responses, everyone! This morning my betta tried so hard to eat. He snapped at each pellet several times before he finally caught them. During all his jumping around and snapping at the food, he also ended up sinking a few pellets. I can see them in the gravel, so I'll get the turkey baster out and remove them. He still sits in his favorite plants, and also on the heater's suction cup, his other favorite hangout. He also still comes up to greet me, so I don't think he's sick. Too bad "senior betta food" and betta glasses aren't available! :lol:

Just a note... If you have a lot of current on the surface of the water you'd never seen a bubble nest most likely. If you have plants and/or decorations that reach the surface they should created some areas that don't move enough to destroy the bubble nests. Bettas make these nests when they're happy.

Sati said:
Just a note... If you have a lot of current on the surface of the water you'd never seen a bubble nest most likely. If you have plants and/or decorations that reach the surface they should created some areas that don't move enough to destroy the bubble nests. Bettas make these nests when they're happy.

They do like to make them around plants and the like that reach up to the surface. And I believe Sati is right, they do tend to only make them in tanks that have a small surface area (like bowls!).

Though I heard the part about them making bubble nests when happy was not necessarily true (though I suppose they could be happy!). I heard the bubble nests are used in their breeding, and when they were ready to breed they made them. I appears the males put the fertilized eggs up in these bubble nests and watch them until they hatch.

No, no current...the sponge filter is on the back right wall, and if he wanted to make a nest, the left front wall is very still. Actually, the whole surface is still. The sponge filter bubbles don't cause much water motion at all.

He had trouble eating before -- he wanted to eat but couldn't see the food, if that makes sense. But now he isn't interested in eating. I can hardly get his attention so he will come to the top for food. He did eat 2 pellets today, but he usually eats 6. He just ate the 2 pellets and went back down and sat on the bottom. Even when I wiggled my fingers, he wouldn't come back up.

I'm sorry he's not feeling well An. I know you're taking excellent care of him, so it is probably old age. A really helpless feeling, isn't it? :( Keep us posted on how he's doing!

Thanks, Tigerlily! I think it is old age, and I wish there was something that I could do. I don't think he would benefit by medicines and I don't want to stress him by taking him out of the tank to treat him. But, I think I'll post on the sick fish forum just in case.

An t-iasg

I don't think 2 years is that old for a betta. I have a few bettas that are around that old and they are doing well. I have read that petstore bettas are genetic mutts and are inbreed alot. I would think this could cause all kinds of incurable problems in our fish as they get older. Your guy does sound like he is having vision problems. How many hours out of the day would you say he spends laying on the bottom?

As for the bubble nest, I wouldn't worry about that, some of my bettas make constant nests, some don't make them at all, and some are off and on. I do believe that bettas are social fish (despite what people say) and do better around other fish, maybe you could get 3 or 4 danios or get him a girlfriend. :D

I believe Sati is right, they do tend to only make them in tanks that have a small surface area (like bowls!).

I've had my bettas in 10, 20, and 55 gallon tanks and they made nests in all of them. They do love plants that float on the surface and 9 out 10 times that is where the bubble nest is. I had a betta that would swim up into the thick plant that floated on the surface and just lay there like he was dead, it drove me crazy, I was always checking him.

A little off topic: I just got 8 more bettas!! :D A friend of mine got married and he had them as center pieces on the tables. They were going to throw them away at the end of the night so I took as many as I could and gave little care speeches to the people that said they where taking one home. I now have a total of 14 bettas :D

Going on close to a year I think...or two, got him for christmas either last year..or the year before I can't remember, anyways He used to not build them when he was in a vace, after a month or so in his new home he builds huge ones all the time. :D

Hi SoCal! 8) Glad to see you're ok over there!

My betta used to see very well. He could see me coming across the room, and would go to the front of the tank to greet me! But lately, within the last week, he seems like he doen't see too well. He lies on the gravel almost constantly now. Poor little guy. I guess I won't worry about him not building a bubble nest. I just wish he would swim!

That's so cool that you rescued bettas at the wedding! What kind of :censor: would get bettas just for a few hours to then throw away? Terrible... I'm glad you helped the others who were taking some home too! Post some pictures of them when you can!

My oldest betta was 3yrs. He probably would have lived longer but he got dropsy :( He was a great little guy, i spawned him a couple times, but the last time (a few months before he died) he got beat up by a girl and was quiet embarrased and didn't spawn anymore.
:cry:

ashley

SoCal said:
An t-iasg
A friend of mine got married and he had them as center pieces on the tables. They were going to throw them away at the end of the night so I took as many as I could and gave little care speeches to the people that said they where taking one home.

Is this a common thing to do for weddings? That's as bad as golfish at fairs. That makes me really sad :[

Back
Top Bottom