Does anyone have optimal tank sizes for fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Terrance

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been trying my best to stay way above the minimum tank size, but it starts to get hard since my mindset keeps saying "you could fit more fish in that huge tank!"

Do any of you have optimal tank size for your fish?

You could use the AqAdvisor for general advice on tank size and fish, but it will make your fish as large as they will possibly get as adults! :)

I usually go on LiveAquaria and look up the fish I want to get before buying it at my LFS. They have minimum tank size, kh, ph, temperature and fish temperament listed for every fish. Everything is usually correct, but they tend to under estimate fish temperament, sometimes listing aggressive fish as semi-aggressive, and semi-aggressive fish as peaceful (hey, they are trying to sell you fish after all. LOL).

I first research the min tank size for fish. Then learn its behavior and see what part of the tank is important for the fish. Last, I figure out what tanks are available to me (lately been going with the petco sale). Aim for the biggest tank without going overboard on the tank size.

I feel like many people try to fit as many fish into their tanks as possible, which means they only meet the "minimum tank size".

Optimum makes a fish less stressed and live longer. Does anyone aim for optimum?

Terrance said:
I first research the min tank size for fish. Then learn its behavior and see what part of the tank is important for the fish. Last, I figure out what tanks are available to me (lately been going with the petco sale). Aim for the biggest tank without going overboard on the tank size.

I feel like many people try to fit as many fish into their tanks as possible, which means they only meet the "minimum tank size".

Optimum makes a fish less stressed and live longer. Does anyone aim for optimum?

I like that! I would agree on all of that! It's pretty much what I do. I don't like the minimum mindset thing. I'd rather just everyone say what size is best. I like to go usually 10+ gallons on my fish:). Well except my shrimp... And my bettas because they're both in the standard sizes tanks for bettas, okay maybe not they're in 8g and 13g but that's still on the larger side of things! But that's just me:). I love to ask on here for the sizes everyone puts them in just for some happy fish! I try to stay as optimum as possible.

I'd rather just everyone say what size is best.

:agree: That may get kind of confusing for new hobbyist or someone who doesn't understand the behavior of their fish and how they interact with other fish.

Well at least fishes live longer in these minimum-sized-aquarium setting than the wild.

Its like my employers. They pay me the minimum salary to keep my around. I would quit if I got paid less, but would be very happy with the maximum salary for someone in my position :lol: I need to find better pay to afford my fish expense.

Back
Top Bottom