Does anyone keep bivalves/ mussels/ clams for Freshwater??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Newbie here and love shrimp too...

I was at a LFS and fell in love with a gorgeous saltwater clam, but dont think I have enough time and money to get involved in a whole seperate catagory of creature keeping, so I was thinking of freshwater ones probably not as pretty but maybe interesting. Anyone have any experiences??? Something scavenged from a nearby lake or stream??? Maybe an actual supplier? I was thinking of doing some research and maybe going to an Asian market where they keep live clams and muscles. (BTW I wouldn't be letting go any crazy non native or grocery store creatures into the local waterways)

Last edited:
Golden clams are a species you can buy at some LFS and live aquaria. They are cool. I have heard of difficulties feeding them but spot feeding seems to work. I am going to eventually break down and get one for my 5 gallon. They also can foul the water up easily if they die because they can be hard to find.

I haven't been able to find anything in a LFS, maybe online, let me know what you get. I am getting a new tank this week so i could use one of my smaller ones for a special project...

I am thinking of finding some in local lake area and try it out. I have lots to learn about but i love planning, kind of a live science experiment.

Be careful with local species as you never know what they carry with them. Liveaquria is online and I know they have them. I will probably get one of them from my LFS since it is really my only choice lol

Point well taken, I have been really lucky scooping stuff in the past (ignorance and youth is bliss) but I have heard some big horror stories, it is best to be careful. Maybe online then. Thanks.

No problem. I know people do it but Im to scared to lol

There is a seller on eBay. Word of caution though: because they are filter feeders it is best to keep them in a tank with a small current and without mechanical filtration. Otherwise they will starve to death

Back
Top Bottom