Does anyone know about mudpuppies???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aridiar

Aquarium Advice Regular
West Virginia or New York, depends if school is in
This is probably a pretty odd one, but I was thinking that since they eat fish eggs that they would likely eat snail eggs.
To be ENTIRELY honest, I'm not possitive that they are mudpuppies. I've seen these things in the creek out on my dad's farm since I was 5, they match all the descriptions for mudpuppies (coloration, gills, diet), except for one thing....I've never seen one even as big as your usual 2-3" salamander, and mudpuppies are supposed to grow to 12-14", I thought that they probably just move down stream as they get bigger (since I've never seen a full size crayfish out of that creek either).

If anyone knows it would be great to know:
1) How quickly one would grow
2) If you know something else that it would be other than a small mudpuppy, what is it?
3) Can a mudpuppy do well in warmer water? I know they can survive sub-zero weather, and I read something about them having larger gills in warm, brakish water but does that mean that they will do well in a well oxygenated tank?[/b]

I actually saw two at my lfs the other day. I wanted one so bad! The ones they had were about 5-8in long. They were pretty cool. Sorry I don't have any information.. but I had never heard of those until a few days ago.
If you don't get any information, I can provide you with my lfs's phone number if you won't mind making a long distance phone call =o)

The term 'mud puppy' is often misapplied to mean any larval salamander. Most people, however, consider a 'mud puppy' to be a neotenic variety of the salamander Necturus maculosus. 'Neoteny' is when an organism reaches reproductive maturity while retaining its larval characteristics. The 'mud puppy' keeps its external gills (typical of larval salamanders of all sorts) throughout its life.

Another commonly available 'mud puppy' is the neotenic variant of the Tiger Salamander, Ambystoma tigrinum.

Keep in mind that ALL salamanders go through the larval stage where they exhibit feathery external gills. Most salamanders complete their metamorphosis and lose the external gills completely. What you're finding in the creek on your dad's farm could be any one of a number of larval salamanders.

Thanks.

The coloration is right to be a mudpuppy, and the creek has alot of crayfish in it, and is in the proper region as well. I figure that I probably will just see if there are fully grown mdpuppies in the river that our creek runs into, if there are then there is a good chance that they are mudpuppies.

lyquidphyre, that would be great if you could send me the number, are they open after 9 or on weekends??? I have free nationwide on my cell then :D

I asked my boyfriend and he said they were called "water dogs" but they sound almost exactly like what you described.
I will find the number for you. They are open on the weekends and I want to say they close around 7pm. If you still want me to I will find the number so you can call =o)

I didn't forget about you!!!
I couldn't find the phone book so I had to call information to get the number hehe so so so sorry it took so long
The place is called Fish N Chirps
Its in Denton, Tx
the number is 940-382-2422
Im not sure they still have any, but im sure they know how to take care of them.
I hope you find all the information you need!

Back
Top Bottom