Does anyone know how long the "worst part" of cycling a tank typically last

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kades

Aquarium Advice Regular
I set up my tank the 15th of december. Everything was doing good until I hit the nitrite spike with continuous pwc around 50% once or twice daily I've manage to not loose any fish until the past couple of days. The tiger barbs were the least effected by everything in the beginning now it seems like their dropping like flies. How long does the nitrite cycle last? Any suggestions on tips? I do the pwc I add the dechloranator and conditioner with each change. The ammonia is always low if any at all but I can't get hold of the nitrites. They are always 10+ I've manage to get them to 7 though.

What are you using to test your nitrites? The API test only goes to 5ppm. The nitrite phase is the longest & hardest to endure. It can last quite awhile (weeks). How much water are you changing with water changes?

One more question if worse come to worse and I loose all the fish does that mean I start over or just get more fish? I feel so bad but I'm doing everything I've been told to do! Does losing fish just sometimes happen when cycling a tank?

No I haven't purchased a kit yet. I plan on doing that tomorrow. I've been going to the lps to have it done. There test are the strips and it goes up to 10 and that is usually where mine always are.

I've been doing daily water changes around 50% sometimes 2 times a day. Its a 50 gallon with now 6 tiger barbs, 2 gouramis, and 1 bp

No I haven't purchased a kit yet. I plan on doing that tomorrow. I've been going to the lps to have it done. There test are the strips and it goes up to 10 and that is usually where mine always are.
Def invest in an API kit! Your nitrites may or may not be 7- strips are inacurrate at best. If you are getting your tank water checked, bring along a sample of your tap water too & see how this looks. You really need to know what you are putting in your tank in the first place. Keep up with the big water changes for now until you can test your water for yourself. If your fish do not survive, i would suggest finishing cycling your tank fishless before investing in any more fish. Hope this helps!

Ok thanks. Will the tank still finish cycling without fish?

Yes, your tank can finish cycling without fish (fishless cycling) but you will need a source of ammonia to do this. Pure ammonia is the easiest route to take. Look under the 'getting started' section of the fw forum & you will find a guide to fishless cycling. You will need a test kit to do this so you can monitor what is happening in your tank. The fish you have now can survive but you will need to get a test kit so you can figure out what is going on in your tank & act appropriately to get things under control. Knowing what your tap water reads will help greatly so you know what you are starting with. Keep us posted & dont hesitate to ask questions!

Ok thank you I definitely will I'll post today when I get the water tested again and when I get the kit tomorrow :)

Back
Top Bottom