Does anyone know how to break down rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crepe

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a few hunks of rock and I need to break them apart for a scape I've got planned. The only problem is that I have no idea how to do it. I took a small sample of the rock I have and then went at it with a crowbar. It flaked off a few pieces and even sparked a bit but it didn't break in two like I was hopping. I'm thinking of going to a construction sight and asking if they could put a jackhammer or a backhoe to the rock.

Anyone know of a way? Hammer and chisel yield me the same effect: flakes.

The rock is a grayish stone so I'm thinking it's quartzite (as in quartz, a 7 on the Mohs scale....crap.)

I take it you dont have alot of air tools in your garage? I have an air hammer with a chisel that works great for stuff like that. A palm nailer would work too i'd say. YOU probably wont make much progress with a hammer unless you take and start by drilling a few holes about 1/4" deep so you can get a point to start your chisel. Also, dont forget to wear safety glasses or goggles while you're doing this ;)

Alright, I'll see what I can do. Do you know what this device is called, it's a spring loaded nail-puncher than when you press onto a surface it makes a dent for a nail to be placed.

I think I'm going to end up asking a few construction sites lol. And yah, my garage basically has a drill, a jig saw, a few hand saws and hammers and screwdrivers.

I'm not sure if an electric drill will be able to even make a scratch in this rock...

Ah, it's called a Spring-loaded nail starter. I'm not sure if it would do what I want it to though. They're made for driving nails halfway into wood so you always get it straight.

I think I'm just going to go out and collect smaller pieces of quartzite lol.

Venture abandoned! Oh well, when I get a bigger garage I'll have room...oh wait, I know a guy with a drill press, he's the head of my high school's robotics team lol. I bet I could connive him into letting me use it.

You need a hammer drill with a concrete bit to drill in rock. An ordinary drill won't work too well. <And neither would a drill press .... It is made for precision work, not rough concrete bashing.>

If you have a Dremal, you can get a diamond cutting bit that will do the job .... but it will be slow going ... The big brother ... a diamond coated blade in a wet saw will saw through rock .... that is if you want a flat surface. <you can rent that, or go to a tile/rock counter place & they will cut it for a fee.>

Otherwise it is either a 10 lb sledge hammer on an anvil (or solid piece of steel), or a smaller sledge hammer with a masonry/rock chisel. Or you can rent a jack hammer. <I rented an electric one to break up a concrete pad. It is pretty safe to use ...>

I think I can ask to borrow my neighbor's power tools or have him do it for me. He tore up his drive way yesterday while I was out and well, he had to have used something....

Back
Top Bottom