Does anyone know where I can find Driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redwhiptailplec

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am loathe to pay for driftwood and was wondering if anyone knew what sort of areas I need to look in? I live in Jacksonville Florida so I imagine there must be a fair bit around locally...Any help much appreciated!

Oh and I know all about curing the wood etc. and am perfectly happy to do this to save a few bucks..

I found my piece that is about a foot tall and a foot wide and is pretty thick for 8.99 at PetCo. It is probably not as nice as some of the pieces I have seen on line but it sunk right away, is malaysian (a pretty good quality for fish) and was way cheaper.

well i found 1 of mine and bought the other attached to driftwood. the one i found is kind of rotting but not that much. and it looks alot better than the one i bought imo. and if it rots enough ill just find another one.

i soaked it in a sink for about a month, and changed water about every week with really hot water

Usually true driftwood, or wood that has been drifting in the water and deposited on the beach, is going to be non-sinking, and you'll have to screw it to a slate base or something to get it to sink. The good thing about driftwood found in SW is that anything that is living aboard it will not survive in a FW setting, though you will of course have to prepare this wood thoroughly before putting into the tank.

Bogwood is good because it will sink right away, but of course you'll have to find a bog or a swamp to get it. A beaver pond might be a good place to look. Beware of some evergreen trees, as they contain resins that may be harmful to fish, but I have heard of people using cypress knees in their tanks without problems. I have had a piece of old cedar in one tank for years, but it had been drifting in the bay for so long that I think everything was leached out of it.

Check out the malaysian driftwood at Foster & Smith.com. I have 3 pieces. It has interesting shapes and sinks like a rock. Soak or boil like any wood to remove tannin. :D

I get mine for creeks generally. Has to be a creek with periods of high (flooding) times. One that preferably carries high sediment loads of sand durning flooding. Sands all the bark and sharp points and edges. Usually the best pieces are larger and have been anchored by deposits only leaving upper portions to be exposed to constant current flow. Just take a bow saw and cut it off. Hardwoods are better and if you can find pieces that have been in the water for long periods of time even better. I often mark pieces early on in the year and keep my eye on them throughout the year. Many end up being lost during the year but usually it isn't that big of a deal. You often will find a jam of perfect pieces wedged in a "log jam" At one time I had a pile of wood for tanks and fish mounts by doing this.

Back
Top Bottom