does anyone like painted tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zilla870

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i want a couple painted tetras in the new 40 gallon tank and some red honey gouramis. is this ok?
this is zillas wife

Do you mean a variety "painted" or "injected with dye cruelty to pets" painted?

I am not familiar with a species called painted tetra though?

injected with paint mattrox. they are pretty and if they are going to do it anyway, the fish should have a good home. true?

A painted tetra is a tetra that has been injected with neon dye

The only problem with those, is the color will fade and eventually disappear

Also, its a cruel thing... they take this neon dye and they inject it under the skin, if you will, of the fish

I bought "popsicle" tetra's about 5 years ago..I did not know what they were at the time...but they were blue and my Girlfriend liked them. Know I have come to learn they are White Skirt Tetra's 90% of the dye has faded and they are still happy and healthy..

Sadly I don't think you should support the dye'd fish trade, if anything put your LFS on the spot and play dumb and ask why they are such a "pretty" colour..

The painted tetras can look really good, I agree, when they are "fresh off the chopping block", so to speak.

I agree with others though. It will eventually fade out, the color will. If you are looking for color, how about some neon tetras, rosy barbs, mollies, platies?

HTH :wink:

I would never knowingly support this cruel practice. Most of them die during the dyeing process, and the ones that survive often have stunted growth and shortened lifespans. Also, as others have pointed out, the dye will eventually fade anyway, so why bother? Your tank will look much more beautiful and natural if you choose fish like neons, rummynose, cardinals, green fires, lemons.... there are so many great options out there. JMO

Have you checked out www.deathbydyeing.org ?

zilla870 said:
injected with paint mattrox. they are pretty and if they are going to do it anyway, the fish should have a good home. true?

Hi Zilla's wife,

I actually think that if people don't buy them they will stop selling them. I'm sure you'd agree with this and will not support cruelty to animals, even if they are "just fish".

:)

Big C said:
zilla870 said:

Hi Zilla's wife,

I actually think that if people don't buy them they will stop selling them.

Correct...no market = no profit = no product. Buying them simply adds to demand, which is why there is supply.

I agree that if you don't buy em, maybe they will stop making them or make less.. due to having no market for them.

Those poor painted fish always seem so sad :(

Those fish are really pretty, but its not healthy. i had three one time and they were with my mollies and red eye tetra and one of the painted tetras fell down the sink...my mom doesnt know that so shh. anyhow, i bought mine from petco thinking that it was normal, no one said what they were and that they were injected with die, sad. (this was before my AA membership)

Not only are naturally beautiful fish already available, but with the proper nutrition and water care, you can really make some of those colors pop. In one of my tanks I have about 15 rummy-nose tetras. The tank has a black background. The fish look remarkable with their bright, blood-red noses and striped tails.

There's such a large variety of colorful freshwater fish... it makes no sense to buy these artifically colored ones. I wouldn't buy 'em.

There's more than few tetra species alone as already mentioned. Or, if you stay with a dwarf cichlid like a Blue Ram (my sig), or a dwarf gourami (those honey/flame dwarf gouramis are beautiful)... then u can't go wrong with cory cats on the bottom.

I don't even think they look good, just horribly unnatural. I really don't care too much about the ethical standpoint, but they look weird and the dye will fade anyway, so why not get something naturally "painted" like neons, rams, or most tropical fish.

Please have your wife read that link before buying. If she has any feelings at all, she won't want them after that.

lol i am lost sorry pufferpunk

can you hold my hand through this to find what she need to read

Back
Top Bottom