Does anyone look at their 30 gallon and think it's too small?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonkeyMonk86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I only have 9 small fish in a 29 gallon (2 in extended QT upstairs). But, as time passes, I'm feeling cramped.

The fish swim normal. None are doing the cramped OCD fixed patterns that you see at the LFSs.

I have some real and some faux plants. The faux I change out every 3 months.

Does anyone else get claustrophobic for their fish? I can't have a bigger tank (Kids would kill me!). The fish and me live in the paneled basement. I hung new scenery posters. ... A garden view door poster, a seascape and a cherry blossom tree on the water's edge.... And, I'm still feeling claustrophobic for them.

Has anyone else had this psychological reaction? Any ideas how to make it better (besides a huge tank)?

BTW. I was ok until I visited my rich uncle's mansion where he had huge underground windows with beautiful vistas and real sunlight thru the shaft with little faux animals and stuff, and a very believable faux skylight, too. Now, my fish look cramped.

I realize it's transference. But, anyone ever feel like this?

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

I feel that way looking at my 55. Dreaming of the day I move and can get the 75 up and going. And the 125. And the 180. And the 265.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

I feel that way about my 29 tall AND the 180. And it's not even the angel fish in the 180 that I feel for. The danios swim so much I worry they're bored.

The 29 tall is such an awkward shape. I feel like so much space is wasted.

I don't know how to make it better, but I feel for you.

Sent from my iPhone

No matter what you get it always seems smaller once set up. I now only do 33 longs and 40 longs for smaller tanks. 48 x 12 foot print. The only other size for small I would buy is a 40B.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I always look at my 20 long and think 55....then think 75 etc.....then I mention it to my wife and she then looks at me a certain way.....and it's very different from the way I look at my aquarium.....[emoji6] ......not a very nice look.

So glad that I'm not alone. I was wondering if I needed a psychologist.

One method is to effectively create a sense of scale and perspective using various aquascaping techniques. People frequently manage to create incredible hardscapes that mimic forests, mountainscapes, plains and so forth simply by using the right stones, fish, plants, and driftwood and placing them in the aquarium correctly. Everything in your aquarium should have deliberate placement that naturally draws the eye from occupied space to negative space. Check this link out:

http://fish-etc.com/aquascaping-main/how-to-hardscape-your-aquarium

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the article!!! I'm 3/4 of the way through the article and wow, yeah, right on target!!!

I need to rethink my + and - space and apply the rule of thirds. I need some rocks and more/ better driftwood too. ( Somehow I need to keep all the kids gift ornaments, too. My girls and their beaus each picked out something for my tank. I would never part with any one of them, but it will challenge my creativeness)

Thank you so much!!! That article holds the perfect answer. My tank lacks interest, and depth. Wonderful! Wonderful link!!! ((( hugs )))

Glad it helped! Once you get this idea of scale and perspective in your head it completely transforms how you look at aquariums. 29 gallons is considered small on a superficial level but only when compared to something larger like a 125g tank, but aquascaped correctly and a 29g can seem huuuuuuuge!

Here's another helpful resource to help you get started: http://www.thegreenmachineonline.co...position-the-golden-ratio-creating-perspectiv

Good luck!

Not at all, I have one small cichlid in my 30 long, plenty of room for him. I would like to move the Carapo knife out of the 90 into a larger tank, but the bugger would eat too many other fish in the 125, and wouldn't play well with the zebra knife in the 220.
Actually though, I really found that the 18" depth of 40 breeders and 75/90/125 gallon tanks makes a world of difference after years of a 55 being my largest tank. The additional depth also greatly increases your stocking options.

No matter the size of tank,we all feel the same way. For example, I look at my seventy five and think my angels are cramped up, even though they're like 3.5 inches. Your not the only one!

Azmodan helped my tank a lot! It's not finished. I ordered special driftwood to help with rule of thirds but it is immensely better! (BTW I hacked up all my plants so they will get bushier in a few weeks.)
Before:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411663916.644227.jpg
After ( but not done)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411663950.900105.jpg

I think long tanks can give an impression of being larger than they are versus tall tanks. And what you put in the tank (plants, decor, fish) can change the perspective as mentioned above.
If I said that the (blurry) fish in this pic were giant danios, then this tank...
0LhwkAC.png
would appear larger than it actually is. But these are zebra danios. It is a 20g long. Sure, at times, I wish it was a bigger tank...more plants, more fish. A 40B would be ideal. When I was younger I lived in smaller places but had larger (55g) tanks. Now the opposite is true for some reason. I guess it comes down to priorities.
Not hating tall tanks. Better choice for fish such as angels. So much more room for activities.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Agree, your tank looks huge and spacious! It's gorgeous!!! I had to look very hard to find any equipment. Very well done!!!

Long story short.. I've had a 29,30b,30l all in the last few months, of all three the 30l is far and away my fav. The 29 lacked floor space while being a bit too tall for budget leds/lighting, the 30breeder had tons of floor space but was a bit to short for viewing and swim space, the 30 long is great in that it has ample flora space while being a good height for my leds. 30 gallons is a good number for me and the space I have for tanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom