does anyone other than me cry when they lose a fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I cried when i lost my molly and my two cory cats.

I have been wringing my hands frantically about my female GBR. i almost called into work today so i could stay home with her.

actually yes. I cry over all my pets. some fish that im attached to but i was so sad when my favorite most discus was almost gone. it broke my heart. but i think if one of my big old discus or something along that lines dies. I would cry for a while. Im very attached.
I cried because i had to leave my cat. i cried like a baby. So i made sure that i wasnt leaving all my tanks there. cause that would have broke my heart too.
i was very upset when my female gbr died. cause i finally got a pair and she went and died.

I don't cry when my fish die, but I did tear up when I lost one of my clownfish. It jumped out of the tank and I found it when I got home late that night. It was sad.

I had a fancy goldfish a long time back that developed some kind of bump under her gills (fluke maybe?) Anyway we tried to treat her and one day I came home to see her sitting in this blue liquid (the meds turned it blue) and gasping. Well I started crying like a baby and then pleaded with my father to end her suffering. He is such a great guy that he did it for me even when I knew he didn't want to.

Since then, I have tried not to get too attached, but it is hard. You feel responsible for them.

I don't cry either when I lose fish. I might though if I had an Oscar for 6 years and it died. I wanted to cry when I failed my driving test, however. What I've learned is that you can't dwell on things to long. And you can only prepare/be ready for the next time/situation.

I should specify. I was treating my most expensive favorite fish. And well when it came down to it I had nothing in my crappy town at the time to treat him. And he was so thin from not eating. his skin started eating away and i sat there think i had to do something for him and i could not . So it made it harder. finally my lfs got the drug i need in and hes still getting better and better every day. i wouldnt like get depressed and take time off work for greiving or anything. but i think i would be sad and cry a bit. ive done it for ever other animal i ever had. Even like dog , cat, lizards, birds. and such.

I dont cry, but I give em a proper burial in the lemon tree flower pot.

I don't cry either, but it did break my heart when my GBR died. She all of a sudden had some sort of injury and I could tell she wouldn't make it another day. I tried to treat her, but she wouldn't eat and stayed up near the surface, which wasn't like her. She died the next day...I was so sad!

i think there are just fish we care about more,

no one cries over a neon tetra, because we each have 10 of them, they are identical, and show no personality or individuality

other fish arent mindless schoolers...goldfish, betta, bgk, gbr and therefore we see them as an individual

I always cry when my bettas die or get seriously ill, even if they're very old. And when all of my clown loaches dies from ich, despite my best efforts, I was inconsolable. My boyfriend eventually dragged me out of the house and to PetSmart to get a new betta to try and cheer me up. Poor guy--he's not really a fish person, but he puts up with me blubbering all over the place about mine.

I have only cried once and that was when my betta died last year. I had been treating him with meds for 2 months and finally he had to be euthanized. James had to do it, I couldn't. It was sad because I sat there and watched him in poor health every day for 2 months.

I bawled like a baby when my very first betta died. He lived for almost two years and had a good life. Now, I don't cry when a fish dies. I am still very sad but I don't feel like it's my "fault" as much as I used to. I do still tear up when I'm removing the dead fish from the tank. They all have been buried in the woods behind the house.

Todd, I had an oscar for 8 years and I didn't cry when he died. I'm glad he went. I hated him. I'm so cold hearted!
I did cry when my little ctenopoma died, though. I adored him. But that's the first time I cried over a fish since I was like 9 years old. I have a big 8+ yr pleco and a 3 yr old betta. I'll probably mourn my old guys when they go. We've been through a lot together.

mosiac, i seriously started laughing at your first line, if i knew how to quote properly i would have. (someone needs to show me how to properly quote)

sadly, i teared up watching my 10 and 11 year old goldfish die, but when my clawed frog ate two of my large male albino cherry barbs i had in qt, i was more amazed than anything else

MSU Fan's wife: "I cried when Coal, my black moor goldfish, passed away. He got ick all of a sudden." Personally, I dispose of the bodies before she wakes up usually. I'll tell you what, she looks heart-broken every time I have to tell her the bad news... :(

hc, let's just say that the oscar was the worst impulse buy ever. I always hear about how oscars have such personalities and become hand tame and all that. We never had that kind of relationship.
And to quote, hit the button at the top right of the message you want to quote. It'll fill it in the reply box for you :)

Mosaic said:
hc, let's just say that the oscar was the worst impulse buy ever. I always hear about how oscars have such personalities and become hand tame and all that. We never had that kind of relationship.
And to quote, hit the button at the top right of the message you want to quote. It'll fill it in the reply box for you :)

it always ends up looking like this...

No, I don't cry. Most of the time I get angry at myself thinking I could have prevented the death.

I don't think I've ever cried from losing a pet, but I do miss every one of them that I"ve had, fish or mammal. I get kinda attached.

I was upset when I lost my first fish. I spent about an hour beating myself up over it. Then shortly after that I lost many fish due to inexperience. Now it doesn't bother me at all. It's much like going to war. The first couple of dead civilians you see will break your heart, but when you see it every time you turn around, eventually, it has no effect on you at all.

I'll be some mad if my oscar dies though. I think he's really cool. Lots of personality.

Back
Top Bottom