Does chlorinated water kill bacteria instantly??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saradomin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I did a water change and removed 25% of the water. I replaced the water in the tank and added Seachem Prime immediately after filling.

Did I save the bacteria or did they die on contact with the chlorinated water?

It depends on the concentration of chlorine/chloramine. I doubt that what you did killed all of your tank's beneficial bacteria.

In the future, though, I'd mix Prime with the fresh water before adding to the tank.

I did a water change and removed 25% of the water. I replaced the water in the tank and added Seachem Prime immediately after filling.

Did I save the bacteria or did they die on contact with the chlorinated water?

If you are adding directly to the tank turn heater and filters off before draining
after you drained the desired amount refill filters with tank water if they are hobs with tank water. Next treat for entire tank before refilling. Temp match new water and fill. I let the tank sit for about 15 min before turning filters and heater back on.

No you didn't kill anything. I know at least 3 people on this forum that do this all the time to their fish rooms and its fine

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Eugene uses a ton of chlorine in there tap water in the summer , it smells like a swimming pool make shore to ether leave it over night or use prime ,
im lucky and use well water and don't need to treat it
also this area has very soft water , I know people breeding Discus in tap water

Eugene uses a ton of chlorine in there tap water in the summer , it smells like a swimming pool make shore to ether leave it over night or use prime ,
im lucky and use well water and don't need to treat it
also this area has very soft water , I know people breeding Discus in tap water

My water doesn't smell like anything, though I'd bet that they do use a ton of chloramines. Our tap water is about pH 8.2, but drops to 7.4 or so after treatment with Prime (which converts chloramines to ammonia, and then ties it up as as imidium complex).

Most of the Pacific Northwest has very soft water. It's one of the reasons why our beer is so good.

Back
Top Bottom