Does Gravel Matter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5x5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am starting a freshwater tank this week and still need to choose substrate. The LFS sells gravel, sand and crushed coral. Is this selection purely aesthetics or will this impact the fish?

I am not sure if I will be doing a community or species tank, but leaning towards community at the moment.

I prefer to use pfs. It's much easier to clean IMO. The gravel can have side effects like damaging barbs on coreys and such. Plus pfs is much cheaper.

I prefer to use pfs. It's much easier to clean IMO. The gravel can have side effects like damaging barbs on coreys and such. Plus pfs is much cheaper.

+1

PFS is the best choice IMO. Just so you know, crushed coral will raise you pH and as I understand it, quite significantly.

At my local Petco, sand/gravel goes for about $1 per pound (averaged out) and Leslie's Pool Supply at the other end of the parking lot sells 50lbs of PFS for less than $10 and they even load it into my truck lol.

Back
Top Bottom