does having a background do anything?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flipz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was wondering if having a background on a tank has any benefit to the fish. the bags from my LFS list everything you may need for your tank, and a background is the second thing on the list! i figure it may be just to sell stuff, but who knows. i thought id ask.

the only thing i can think of is maybe it makes the fish less paranoid or something? but is that really a problem? my green spotted puffer does hide in the plants a lot, maybe a background would bring him out more? thanks as always

-brent

I don't think so. I think it's just there for aesthetic purposes. If we're talking about the 3D backgrounds that go inside the tank, those can have uses for fish and plants. But the paper background or spraying the inside/outside black just makes it "pretty" and might bring out the color of your fish more. If you have the money, make your own 3D background. If not, I'd go with the black background, but wouldn't spray it on, just use like a black poster board and tape it to the back, especially if you have dark substrate, black will go on real nice.

Putting a background on the back of a tank doesn't do anything for the fish, unless you are trying to control light coming in from a window (that would create lots of Algae), or help to coverup one side of the tank so the fish don't get scared from something moving behind it.

It does help to hide wires, tubes, HOB filters, etc.

Years ago, you use to be able to lay a tank on it's side and pour this liquid on the back side. As the liquid would dry, it would create "crystals". The thicker you poured it on, the larger the crystals would be when it dried. I had some that were 4-6 inches long. It came in different colors. Don't know if they still have it or not.

The plastic ones at Petsmart, etc work good but I had trouble sticking them to the tank. Scotch tape didn't work very good.

Quote from myself "unless you are trying to control light coming in from a window " remember that even though you stop the light from making algae, it will still heat up the tank.

I love my backgrounds!! It makes the fish POP out. A darker background will make your fish color up a bit more, as they try to blend into the scenery :wink:

I used cobalt blue block printing ink and a small paint roller on three sides of my 10 gal tank. It takes a couple of coats on clean glass to get a solid blue. Then I used black latex over top of the blue. It makes the blue look richer (from the inside glass) and matches the stand.

The overall effect is a tank that has a better blue than the lfs tanks. Really good looking with a 1.5 inch layer of argonite in the bottom...

Oh yeah. I think having a background can make fish feel more secure in certain circumstances.

It really depends on the type of fish and the placement of the tank; tank in the open, fish less secure tank against a wall fish more secure.

This is just based on my experience watching shy fish become less shy when they are enclosed on several sides...

I've read benefits to backgrounds

I'll concur through logic with another poster here that it depends on the fish species and the actual backdrop itself.

Certain fish will do better in a familiar looking environment, that is one that looks relatively natural to what that fish may find in its natural habitat. I'm guessing that farm raised fish, or bred fish probably wouldn't notice too much, unless there is something instinctual bred within the species. Some fish feel safer and have reduced stress levels if they sense the environment around them is conducive to hiding or offeres protection.

I also read somewhere else recently that some fish have depth perception as well. Any background that can fool the fish into thinking it's environement is actually bigger that it really is can also reduce stress levels.

Well thanks jaysono... I always wondered about fish having depth perception.

FYI... did you know you are the 5000th member to sign up here. So welcome! Look over in the lounge thread, they are talking about you. :D

:multi: :multi: welcome!!!! :multi: :multi:

-brent

I wonder how good their depth perception is. Our eyes are in the front, so our tunnel vision is great at depth. Their eyes are on either side of their head though. Show me the link if you can find it.

It makes my gourami less spooky to have a background, specially if i can prevent a mirror effect adn they thing it is cover (though occasionally the one whacks herself trying to hide in the "cave"
My walls are all paneled and most my fish in browns, so they don't seem to mind a lack of background. Only the dwarf gourami and the tetra seem to want it. And my kid's discus like the background

Thank you all. It was a surprise this morning when I was notified by a few people. Seems to be a very friendly forum, and great advice on things that I am reading here.

Looking forward to sharing knowledge with the lot of you.

Here is what I did to my back of the tank, painted the outside back with blue oil based... Looks like your looking off of a reef shelf IMHO
wholetank.jpg

Back
Top Bottom