Does manzanita ever look WHITE in the aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allysonwonderland

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm helping my MIL set up a new 55 gal and she specifically wants white driftwood to contrast against black sand. It's going to be set up as sort of a peninsula style, viewable from both sides so I thought manzanita that clusters mostly at the end next to the wall, then twists and reaches toward the open end of the tank would look awesome.

I've never used manzanita before but in most tank pictures it looks light tan. In my online searches though, many of the dry pieces look white. Does it ever look white in the tank or only when dry, or are there varying shades of this type of wood? Is there any way for me to use diluted bleach to lighten it?

Or do you have any other ideas for a type of driftwood that's very light in color?

Although it is a light colored wood it will always be a tan or light brown color in the water. If she wants white wood you may want to check into artificial decor, I've seen all kinds of them that were white.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Quick answer is no, most bogwood/driftwood will look light at first then turn dark as it absorbs moisture and ages, Bleaching is not a good idea,

Back
Top Bottom