Does my bamboo shrimp need a friend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovemybarbs

Aquarium Advice FINatic
He is big enough that he isn't in any danger, and when he is out, no one messes with him. He goes up into my "drift wood's" legs and hides in there. He was hanging out in one of my plants which was nice because I could see him then. I just wish he would come out more than one hour a day.

If I get him a buddy, will he socialize???

I have two Bamboo Shrimp that sit together on the filter input tube all the time. The only time they ever venture off is when I accidently knock them off. I don't know if adding another Bamboo would help.

It most likely won't help, but it doesn't hurt. I had had one by himself for about a year and added another about 4 months ago. The first one still hides (occasionally coming out) and the second one will show itself more.

I think it depends on the individual shrimp on whether or not it will come out often.

What fish do you keep with it and how big is the tank?

29 gallon tank

3 tiger barbs (one male, two female)
2 albino tiger barbs (one male, one female)
2 rosey barbs (two male)
one pleco
one dwarf clawed frog
one pictus catfish
one bamboo shrimp

I think my problem is I give him too many places to explore and I suspect he is out when I am at work and my 4 year old isn't bouncing around.

He and the frog appear to be bonding. I found them in one of my caves together this morning when I turned on the light. The frog is really curious of him for being smaller than him.

The more places you provide the the better. How long have you had him?

Frogs like to hide in caves and underneath things so they probably just like the same spots.

I've had him about three weeks. Today he is in a plant with leaves that are the same shape as he is. He is starting to get that red color I hear they get.

I assume he is doing his traveling at night. I might just buy him a buddy in a couple of week just to see what he does.

If he is geting red that means he is happy and is getting use to the tank. I would buy a buddy for him just because they look cool and I've ben noticing lately that the two bamboos I have are staying close to each other.

I'm going to buy him a buddy next weekend I think. Right now he is sitting on top of the submersible heater I have going vertical. I guess he has figured out that the food starts up there. What a silly little guy. I hadn't noticed until I fed him, but the frog was sitting up there floating and staring at him. I hope he doesn't try to escape.

Where did you get your Bamboo Shrimp? The only place I've seen them is Petco, but I try to avoid buying livestock there.

Bamboo Shrimp like current, you could aim a powerhead at a more visible part of the aquarium, and see if he comes to hang out.

that is where I got him. I can't find him. I think my pictus might have eaten him. My only guess is in my driftwood. He had just molted. :cry:

I love shrimp, but I need to invest in a bigger breed I guess.

My filter is rather big for my tank. I have quite a current. I don't want too much or an air stone because I read somewhere that it will upset my frog with the vibration.

and is your frog an african dwarf frog? (im not sure) but ive never heard of a dwarf clawed frog? because clawed frogs get really big and i think it might eat the shrimp

Too large a breed, and you'll have to worry about the reverse problem of the shrimp eating the fish!

Attya gabonese (Cameroon Armoured Shrimp or Vampire Shrimp), they get up to 6" and have no claws, they are filter feeders just like the bamboo.. sometimes they mix with bamboo, sometimes not.. I had 2 vamps. 1 killed the other (territorial), then I added 2 bamboo, it killed the 1, but the other one it has no problem with, it will even let it stand on his back.. I think the other one always got in front of him and started filtering before him, so he mauled it to death..

They will not harm any fish.

but they can defend themselves up to a certain extent. ive never had a problem with this, but i read that they close their fans and poke the fish to defend themselves.

I'm still debating getting some bamboos. They're like $6 apiece in a store I don't like buying livestock from, and not available elsewhere. I'd also need to install that powerhead I've been thinking of to increase current.

I paid 17$ each for Vampires, drove through a snow storm to get them, I didn't know they were that territorial or I would have only got one.

Shrimp are Shrimp, you generally don't have to worry about any disease like ich. I'ld buy them from a tank that was infested with ich.. doesn't bug me one bit.

I have a Fluval 304 and a Maxi1200 going through a filter/reactor setup. The current is far more then you need, if there is no particulate in the water they will rub their fans on the rocks to pick up food.

Vampires defend themselves 3 ways depending on the fish that I've observed.

1) fan poke, the fish usually leaves it alone.

2) spike poke, They have a spike where the claw would be. This can be lethal depnding on where it hits (eye, spine (it got a cochu which was terrorizing it there) or head in general)

3) Maul, it will wrap it's front legs around the fish/shrimp and keep hitting it with the spikes. this is how it killed my bamboo. very efficient at it to, similar to a cat wrapping their front paws around your arm and tearing at your arm with their rear legs.

Partially I'm worried about the ich, partially I just don't want to support a side of the business that's run so poorly.

My tank is massivly underfiltered, I have about 100 GPH in a 75 gallon tank. I would need powerheads to make filter feeders happy. (Plenty of green water for them right now.)

Back
Top Bottom