Does my filter suit my tank size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

analioness

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this site and to fish keeping.

I've had my 202 liter (4ft) tank setup for a week and half. I'm in the process of fish less cycling.

I purchased the tank 2nd hand so it came with fish, and accessories. The fish are being minded at my local aquarium. There are about 15 fish. Gourami, angel, convicts, barbs and a black car fish type. I know the convicts don't belong in the group but they seem fine together,

My question, is my current internal filter sufficient? It's an 8 w 400 lt/per hour sponge filter which looks quite old but seems to work since I can feel the water being pushed out.

If not, what filter would you suggest I get? I don't particularly like the large external canister filters but if they are the best for this tank size, then what type should I look for?

I'm not sure about the conversion from liter to gallon.

But the rule of thumb is 4x your tank capacity, depending on what you've got in it.

So a 55 gallon tank would need a filter capable of doing at least 220 gallons per hour. If It is heavily stocked I would raise that number.

202 ltr = ~53 g

IMO, no, the 400 ltr/h sponge filter is not adequate. You could do an HOB, maybe look into an AC70 or a couple of AC50s if you want redundancy. For canisters I prefer SunSuns, a 303 model would work nicely I think.

Others will have more suggestions for you I'm sure. Do your research, you should have 6-10 times tank volume turn over per hour IMO.

Thanks for your suggestion. Which are cheaper to run (as in power consumption) and quiter?

analioness said:
Thanks for your suggestion. Which are cheaper to run (as in power consumption) and quiter?

Power draw varies, you will have to investigate your choices.
Canisters are typically dead silent.

Power draw varies, you will have to investigate your choices.
Canisters are typically dead silent.

I agree with blert. I have a Fluval 305. Extremely quiet and I just unhook it and take it to the sink. No mess at all.

Ok, I'm convinced to get a canister filter...now the trouble on finding the best one for my size tank and that is easy to maintain.

Ok, I'm convinced to get a canister filter...now the trouble on finding the best one for my size tank and that is easy to maintain.

For a 55g tank ... Similar to yours... A fluval 305/306 would be a capacity that should fit your needs. There are other brands that about as good. Fluval are extremely quiet.

If you want to save a bit of money look into a SunSun 303 or 304 (also sold as AquaTop 400 and 500). Much less expensive then the big name brands, simple to maintain, dead silent.

Thanks for your suggestions? Are the cheaper ones just as easy to find replacement parts?

I don't know much about the stuff you put in them also. It seams that you need a few things like sponges and foam or something...? Does one particular thing suit certain fish?

analioness said:
Thanks for your suggestions? Are the cheaper ones just as easy to find replacement parts?

I don't know much about the stuff you put in them also. It seams that you need a few things like sponges and foam or something...? Does one particular thing suit certain fish?

I guess it would depend on where you live. AquaTop (www.TruAqua.com) carries parts as well as American Aquarium Products (www.americanaquariumproducts.com).

Both of my SunSuns are setup thusly from bottom to top:
Ceramic pre-filter media
Coarse sponge pad
Medium pad/floss
Ceramic bio rings
...with plenty of room left if I need to add fine polishing media and/or carbon.

I just saw a Fluval 305 on Amazon last night for $86.00 new. I paid $150. new for mine 6 months ago at Petsmart

I'm from Australia so Amazon won't deliver here.

I read that the fluvals leak around the seal...is this just as common with other brands?

Has anyone had a leak with there's?

analioness said:
I'm from Australia so Amazon won't deliver here.

I read that the fluvals leak around the seal...is this just as common with other brands?

Has anyone had a leak with there's?

With any canister there is always a risk of a seal malfunction, though it is very minimal. Probably about 99% of the time it happens because the user did not take care when assembling. Fluval is a trusted manufacture of quality equipment, they don't leak "just because". Precautions should be taken though so as to not make a mess... Set the canister inside of a deep tray and inspect when you turn it back on.

The Convicts will probably kill every other fish in your tank once they mature, will be fine until then - but at some point the rest don't stand a chance.

Borderlesscott said:
The Convicts will probably kill every other fish in your tank once they mature, will be fine until then - but at some point the rest don't stand a chance.

I have 4 mature convicts which seem to only fight with one another. And my parrot is the largest and is probably the most aggressive. He (i think) usually wins in fights.

I doubt that will happen since they have been together for quite some time (handed to me by the previous owner).

Back
Top Bottom