does the ph /nitrate readings pose an immediate problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

splatsplatsplat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
41h6q.jpg

this is my first test (tank is approx a few months old, does the ph /nitrate readings pose an immediate problem?, and will small regular water changes reduce it ok(have heard bad things about ph reducers))

Last edited by a moderator:
The pH doesn't really pose a problem because fish can adapt to the water fairly easily. The nitrate does appear to be unusually high. Try testing using one of the 5mL bottles, the test can be very picky when it comes to the amount of water your testing

pH shouldn't do any harm as long as your fish look okay and are fine. Clean out one of the test tubes and redo the nitrate tests, lots of people-including me-make mistakes on testing them. You only need 5 mL of water.

pH and Nitrates

Good morning splat...

I'd agree with the posts you've gotten. Nitrates can reach 75 ppm and not negatively affect your fish. If they get higher than that and stay there, then you could compromise your fishes' immune system and disease could set in.

The best thing you can do for your tank in general, is to perform large and frequent water changes. I have several 55 G tanks and all are well planted. I typically do 50 percent every three to four weeks. The water changes and the plants help maintain healthy water conditions.

B

did a 20-25% water test

2jdj4ad.jpg

nitrates are much better, but the ph is only slighty better (its kinda hard to even pinpoint the correct value as the colours are so close - what would you say the ph is now?)

here is a comparison, left 1st test, right is latest test

sg22kg.jpg

splatsplatsplat said:
did a 20-25% water test

nitrates are much better, but the ph is only slighty better (its kinda hard to even pinpoint the correct value as the colours are so close - what would you say the ph is now?)

here is a comparison, left 1st test, right is latest test

Looks good! pH isn't that big of a deal, if you are that much concerned you can try RO water but really think adjusting your pH is unnecessary.

never heard of RO water before?

The reason Im concerned about the ph, is that I have a poorly killifish. He has sunk to the bottom and is breathing fast, he has stopped eating the last few days . All the other fish seem fine - but last week I did lose another killifish unexpectedly (i found him with tail half sucked up the filter tube - didnt know he was poorly unless he just got stuck). i have added aquarium salt when the other killi started sinking to the bottom, then some King British disease clear (as i dont know/cant seem to google whats wrong with him) he can swim when other fish disturb him, but is usually for 10 seconds then lands like an aeroplane in another spot. the lfs said the ph was high but couldnt pinpoint whats wrong with him other than that. Ive just done a 20% water change, do you think I should add more salt?
i dont know if either salt or medication is upping the ph.

Back
Top Bottom