Does water get stale?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TygGer

Aquarium Advice Freak
For instance, if I were to decholorinate and detoxify a batch of water and let it sit in a covered bucket for a few days without aeration via an air pump, will the water become stale and unsuitable for use?

I dont know about stale, but I do know that it needs some kind of water movement, or airstone, to maintain a good oxygen level for our little buddies. 8)

Why do you want to leave water in a bucket for a few days?

The oxygen will return to the water once in the tank with proper filtration.

Stagnant water causes the spread of Legionnaire's Disease and Pontiac Fever, but I think you're talking short term.

I would prefer it had an airstone or ph.

I like to prepare the water ahead of time, usually day before, and sometimes plans change I and I can't get to changing the water for a few days (maybe more sometimes). But if it could cause problems, I just simply won't do this...

Before the introduction of chemical dechlorinators, people used to let the chlorine diffuse out of the water naturally just by letting it stand for two or three days. (Unfortunately, this method doesn't eliminate chloramines.)

A few days left standing should be OK, but anything more than that and you risk the growth of mold, bacteria, and algae.

I filled my 10g with dechlorinated water, but no filter because I was waiting for it (the filter) to show up in the mail. It was very late arriving and the water ended up sitting in the unfiltered tank for over a week (no fish, of course!). I ended up emptying it and starting over because the water had a scum floating on top, even though it had a cover, and it was starting to smell.

Back
Top Bottom