Does White Sand Always Look Dirty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am considering white sand for my 20gal but I am afraid it would look perpetually dirty. Can anyone with White sand tell me if this is true? I dont wanna buy it and then have my tank look dirty all the time except right after water changes.

I'd have to say NO my Pfs is mystic white and looks the same as it did when I first used it! Poo stays on top so it's very easy to vacuum which is a definite +

If your worried about the white sand getting discolored you could always try the black sand. I have a friend who has the black sand in his 125 and looks real nice. However I prefer the white :)

One last thought........ With the white sand you can see the poo and leftover food, which makes vacuuming a snap, idk if you would be able to see it as well in the black sand?

But does it always look dirty except right after you vacuum it? I know that it will show debris sometimes but I was hoping it wouldnt show all the time

But does it always look dirty except right after you vacuum it? I know that it will show debris sometimes but I was hoping it wouldnt show all the time

If you are seeing too much poop, waste, debris....
then maybe your tank is overstocked?

Otherwise, you could try installing a powerhead near the bottom of the tank.
And that will blow and push the poop towards the filter.

If you are seeing too much poop, waste, debris....
then maybe your tank is overstocked?

Otherwise, you could try installing a powerhead near the bottom of the tank.
And that will blow and push the poop towards the filter.

Ok. I dont have a powerhead. Are the expensive and do they blow the sand around? Im not wanted to super stock the tank but a good amount of fish. Eventually I wanna upgrade to a 56 column so normal amount of fish :)

a powerhead is not overly expensive. You could buy the smallest one.
They won't blow the sand around. They just create a small current in one direction.

Other options is to get several airstones and place them around the tank. That would keep any waste afloat - and a greater chance for it to be sucked up by the filter.

you could also get an extension tube for your filter intake - so that it reaches closer to the bottom of the tank.

But at the end of the day, no equipment will perform all tank maintenance for you. You will inevitably have some waste that will settle on the sand bottom - hence routine gravel vacuum and water changes.

Back
Top Bottom