Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-27-2007, 08:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
Dog peed on bag of gravel

I have a huge bag of natural gravel (it's a 50lb bag and I've probably used about 10-15 lbs of it already) and my dog peed all over the bag. Is there any way I can use this gravel again? I figure it is essentially ammonia and I could rinse it thoroughly but I don't want to risk it if it could severly mess up a tank.

Any thoughts?

lyquidphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to papa_bear_21
I would think a bleach bath followed by a soap bath, then many rinsings would be good...but I'm no expert...I'm sure someone more experienced will chime in...

Old 06-27-2007, 08:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd be afraid to use bleach! I know if I rinse it a zillion times it would be okay, but something about bleach and aquariums gives me the willies!

Old 06-27-2007, 08:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to papa_bear_21
I truly dont blame you, if you have a good disinfecting soap (like dawn), and rinse with copious amounts of water afterwards. Thats how we cleaned our gravel before we put it in the tank, I would think the soap would kill anything harmful that may be there. As long as the gravel is rinsed good, there should be no ill effects. Our fish are doing great
Old 06-27-2007, 08:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Personally I'd choose the bleach over gravel with much rinsing and some dechlorinator,

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'd be worried about using soap. I'd go with the bleach. After rinsing a ton with regular water, you can add some dechlorinating treatment to the rinse-water to get rid of any trace amounts of bleach.
1 Pearl Gourami, 2 Angel fish (one veiled), 4 Congo tetras, 1 Boesemani rainbow, 1 Columbian tetra, 3 Yo Yo loaches, 1 Pleco, 3 assorted Cory Cats, 2 Black skirt tetras, 2 serpae tetras, 2 German rams, 17 neon tetras, and a partridge in a pear treeeeee!
JulieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
I would think some bleach and a very good rinsing would do the trick.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks guys! I guess I can try the bleach thing. Now I just need a way to easily rinse/clean 40lbs of gravel hehe

Old 06-27-2007, 10:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Soap? Bleach? Radiation Honestly don't add anything. Poke some holes in the base and rinse with a couple gallons of tap water and all is good.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Soap is completely out.
Bleach is not a problem at all. What you don't rinse off will be easily dealt with by a good dose of dechlor. If you have any doubts rinse, rinse, rinse......

To be honest, I don't know what if anything is to be worried about. While you and I may not like the idea, the urine is probably not as much of a problem as it sounds like.

FWIW I keep a bucket with a strong bleach solution at all times. Anything that goes in any of my tanks gets soaked in that bucket before it goes into another tank. All I do is to rinse all utensils before using them.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:04 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

I'm with Sparky, on this one, including the strong bleach solution. If you were to let the gravel dry out with bleach in it, you would be left with salt and gravel.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:50 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would just rinse it with water. If you've ever been in a public pool, you've been in much worse than that gravel. Rinse it and I you'll be fine.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:48 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd use the bleach. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Theotheragentm- I don't think her fish could live in that public pool.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:12 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Give it a quick rinse and let it dry out. There is no reason to go through the trouble of bleach/soap. NONE. Urine is primarily composed of salts and minerals and is normally sterile (UTI is the exception). It actually looks quite a bit like Flourish Comprehensive!
Old 06-28-2007, 01:15 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Fish swim in their own urine. As nasty as it sounds, you probably wouldn't have any problems if you didn't even rinse it. (But I would anyway) Don't use soap on aquarium equipment, ever. You could use bleach but it is not necessary. If your concerned about bleach, white vinager is a milder solution. I would just rinse it real good and be done with it.
Alshain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:24 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with those who suggest rinsing with plain old water. There is nothing in urine that would require anything stronger.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:20 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I figured urine is so natural it wouldn't be a big problem. I was worried it might create an unwanted cycle or something. I know that not all of the gravel was peed on, just the outer part (he peed on the thick paper bag holding the gravel, so the stuff in the middle is probably okay)

I might just rinse it with water when the time comes for me to use it again and keep an eye on it from there

Old 06-28-2007, 07:26 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

ROFL, I'm sorry, but am I the only one that thinks this is hilarious?!

My male dog's the SAME way, we can't keep Anything on the floor without expecting it to get peed on!! hahahahahaahaha... oh, ok.. I'm sorry. ...maybe. =)

How bout if you're paranoid about the pee, just dilute the bleach real well? Like a cap-full for a huge bucket of water. Bleach is powerful stuff, you don't need a lot to disinfect.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:52 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness8t5
ROFL, I'm sorry, but am I the only one that thinks this is hilarious?!

My male dog's the SAME way, we can't keep Anything on the floor without expecting it to get peed on!! hahahahahaahaha... oh, ok.. I'm sorry. ...maybe. =)

How bout if you're paranoid about the pee, just dilute the bleach real well? Like a cap-full for a huge bucket of water. Bleach is powerful stuff, you don't need a lot to disinfect.
I found it amusing until I tried to move the bag of gravel and the bag disenegrated and I had to scoop up 30+ lbs of gravel and put it into a different bag =oP

Here is the culprit:

Some might remember a long time ago me talking about him and the long story about how we found him and how we couldn't find him a new home in the Lounge.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:02 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW...
*heart melts*
Resembles my dog, somewhat...

Tags
bag, gravel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com