Doing another tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I picked up a 55 gallon with everything for nothing so I'm going to do angel fish so I would like help on the build from ground up all from substrate to plants (live) to housing buddies current how many everything I appreciate it

Great pickup!

Angelfish are a good choice for a 55. You can start with 6-10 juveniles and grow them out until you have a pair. The plants you can keep are going to depend on what lighting you have.

With angels, it's best to avoid tank mates that are known fin nippers. These would include fish like serpae tetra, buenos aires tetra, tiger barb, black/white skirt tetra, etc.

While the angels are juvenile, cardinal tetras work real well for schooling fish!! Rainbows can certainly work too.

Like mama said, they will be good til they pair off. I had seven and when the two paired up, they killed off the other 5 within a few days. As juvies they are good though.

I run my tank at about 7.8, and I have a celebes rainbow, and A school of Australian rainbows, they do fine. I'd steer clear of the cardinals with a pH that high. Maybe try Danios, just for some movement.

What about an african cichlid tank granted I know nothing about it either lol

Well, that's your choice. They really are a good choice for a 55, but angels I've had in the past, have gotten real nasty around breeding time, killed a bunch of fish. You could do hatchet fish, or Bleeding heart tetras. Giant Danios work when the angels are fully grown.

Africans would be good in a 55, but not really much can go with them. If you wanted variety, I'd do a ram tank, or a dwarf cichlid of some sort.

Back
Top Bottom