Dojo loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 gallon long tank with sand substrate and two golden dojo loaches in it. I love how simple the tank looks and its awesome to watch the loaches swim together in the current from the power head. I'm wondering what people would suggest I put in the tank with them. Originally I was just going to have three or four dojo loaches in there ni a species only tank, but I'm open to other ideas. Lemme know. Keep in mind its cold water and there is powerhead.

i have 2 loaches in a cold water tank (they are my favourite members of the tank) - i think they look so funny when they touch each other with their whiskers! anyway, their tank mates are 6 leopard danios and 1 female paradise fish. its nice because then all levels of the tank are occupied. i have kept them before with both fancy and common goldfish though. what are you thinking? nice to hear about other people with cold water tanks!

can dojo loaches be kept in a tropical comminity tank? I've got a 20 gallon that will be set up in the near future & I really want dojo loaches vs kuhli loaches because they're so much more active. my dad wants 'colorful pretty' fish in it as well. if I can, how many can be kept?

Yes you can keep DoJo's in a community just like a betta.

I dont know who or what is going on with everyone elses kuhli's but mine are very active, they just ate and havnt gone back to bed yet. Though they are checking out my new rocks I just put in there.

Dojo's get like 8" adult I believe but that all depends on their environment.

Dojos in a 20 id keep no more then 2-3. kuhli you can keep prolly around half a dozen or so.

Loaches like these arent aggressive, they are rather passive and submissive to other fish.

what if I've already got 2 goldfish in the 20 gal? would I still be able to get the dojos? I want something to sift through the sand & feed off the bottom

Yes but goldfish are dirty fish, their bioload is supposedly 2.5 the times of a "normal" tropical fish.

what kind of goldfish?

they are just common feeder goldfish. will running a filter rater for a larger tank help keep up with the high bioload?

they're common feeder goldfish. will running a filter rated for a larger tank help keep up with the bioload, as long as it doesn't create a current that is too strong?

the current wont be too strong, just gotta make sure the filter isnt sucking up your sand too.

My friend ordered me an Aquaclear 30 today, so I would assume it would be here sometime next week. I am also going to include at least one of my current filters. One is an Aqua-Tech 5-15 & the other is a Penguin Mini, not sure what its rated at. It fits the same size filters as the Aqua-Tech.I haven't had any problem with either sucking up any sand. So in your opinion could I purchase two dojo loaches to live with the goldfish?And thank you for your help.

in my opinion you could get the loaches in that tank with the goldfish. i definitely advise getting 2, as just one will get lonely and become shy and spend the whole time hiding. if there are 2 thay are very active though.

Does anyone recommend a specific pairing? Meaning should I get 2 males, 2 females, 1 male + 1 female, or doesn't it matter?Also, can I mix golden dojos with regular dojos? I love the look of the golden ones, but the place I found them charges twice as much for one. What have you guys found the average price on dojos to be (golden and regular)

if i remember right 8.99 for golden dojo's by me.

I just pick the liveliest ones out and take them, not sure how to tell the sex of them.
they are ok alone, pair up with a 2nd and school with 3+ or atleast that is what I am observing with mine

Thanks for the great info. I found a place that has regular ones for $3.99 but doesn't carry the golden ones. I think I'm going to just go with the regular unless the other place in town can order the golden ones for a decent price. At a petstore about 40 mins from where I live the golden ones are $12.99 & the regular are $6.99, so I'm happy to find the local store has them for cheaper.

are they big or small? as in total size as adults.

I think you might be better off with the kuhli loaches, you can fit a few more in there and they are neat to watch, so small yet so smart and fast.

I'm worried about the temperature with kuhli loaches. if I raise the temp to accomodate them, my goldfish will suffer. and if I lower the temp (or rather leave it without a heater) then the kuhlis suffer.

74 degrees is the magic goldfish temp number.

Ex used to keep fancies, the ugly ugly ones( i dont like goldfish) that cost more then comets and she did alot of reading on goldfish and community tanks and nearly everything said 74 was good, she kept it at 74 and the thing is very healthy and energetic, never stops moving.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. My friend is bringing his extra aquarium sand and a heater over for me on sunday, so I plan on setting things up then.

Back
Top Bottom