Dojo/Weather Loaches and Sand and Air

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone, my fiance convinced me to get a past favorite fish of mine instead of a puffer because I could get more than one and we both loved having them... the weather loach. I am going today to get some pool filter sand and some ther stuff... but was wondeing as to how I was going to airate the tank.. someone told me it wouldn;t be a good idea to put an air stone in the sand.. any other ideas?

I have an airstone in my sand tank just sitting on the surface of the sand. Doesn't seem to cause any problems, its not actually in the sand but just sitting above it.

Um, I thought that pool filter sand was bad. Something about it is cracked sand so it has very jaged edges that trap particles. This jaged sand would be bad for a burrowing loach. I might be completely wrong though.

eh I went to the aquarium store and just got two 25 pound bags.. though most people say a pound per gallon is overkill.. it was the only size bag they had. This is getting so exciting, once I find a home for the last oscar I will put the sand in and cycle the tank for a while, by the time I get back from thanksgiving break it should be fairly cycled considering I will keep the same tank water I have now... will do a 50% water change though.. now all I need is some driftwood, java ferns... and when I get back I will also have a stand and canopy with decent lighting and moonlights!! w00t!

My advice may be off, just make sure that the sand has smooth edges and is not sharp. You might want to post in the salty forum about sand, I think southdown/ oldcastle is the best.

well I went to the aquarium store and bought two 25 pound bags (a bit over kill) instead, I mean i think I can invest 20 bucks to a substrate I will have for a hella long time.

Sati - Moonlights are used for a number of purposes... but I mainly used them for the fish to be able to see somewhat in the dark. Its good for fish mainly because the water isn't always pitch black, but more importantly is the fish getting spooked by bumbing into other fish. Fish can;t really see red or blue light, but can make out objects with these lights. Reef people use them and claim that it helps corals and the such, and as a bonus it helps the fish in the same way I ahve described. Not only does it help fish but the tank looks spectacular all times of the day, it also stops other people from asking to turn on the aquarium light at night "only for a couple minutes" which stress the fish, just like turning out the lights and of all the sudden it gets dark for the fish.
There are two routes you can go into making one (which I highly suggest and you'll see why...). One is by using LEDs (light emitting diodes) which are VERY efficient, very cheap, and provide whats called "spotlight lighting". Basically the entire tank can still be seen with these lights but there are points in the tank where it is more lighted than others. This helps create the "ripple effect" when the water's surface (for those of you who use HOB filters) is disturbed... you can see the cool ripples int he tank. With this set up some electrictian knowledge is needed, like what and how to hook up the set up with transistors to get the right voltage, etc.

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_nightlight.htm

http://www.kaotica.com/frag/diy/moonlight/

The other route would be to use Cold Cathode tubes. I chose this route because it is a lot cleaner and easier to do, plus I wanted even lighting. These are cheap to get on ebay, which is what I did. Basically it is a mini-fluorescent tube that, like the LEDs, will be hooked up to whats called an inverter (I guess you could say its like a transistor) which then goes to an adapter (which both set ups need). Its really easy to attach to the underside of a canopy, but doesn;t last nearly as long as do the LEDs... they last about 15,000 hours - 30,000 hours, while LEDs last about 100,000 hours! 8O

If you have any questions I provided two links for the LED part of it, if you have questions about the cathode set up, ask away! :D

Electrobes said:
- Moonlights are used for a number of purposes... but I mainly used them for the fish to be able to see somewhat in the dark. Its good for fish mainly because the water isn't always pitch black, but more importantly is the fish getting spooked by bumbing into other fish. Fish can;t really see red or blue light, but can make out objects with these lights. Reef people use them and claim that it helps corals and the such, and as a bonus it helps the fish in the same way I ahve described. Not only does it help fish but the tank looks spectacular all times of the day, it also stops other people from asking to turn on the aquarium light at night "only for a couple minutes" which stress the fish, just like turning out the lights and of all the sudden it gets dark for the fish.
There are two routes you can go into making one (which I highly suggest and you'll see why...). One is by using LEDs (light emitting diodes) which are VERY efficient, very cheap, and provide whats called "spotlight lighting". Basically the entire tank can still be seen with these lights but there are points in the tank where it is more lighted than others. This helps create the "ripple effect" when the water's surface (for those of you who use HOB filters) is disturbed... you can see the cool ripples int he tank.

I love that! I definitely want to add that feature to the hood I'm going to build :]

Sine my comp case has windows I use cold cathode on the inside of my case to light it so I have some experience with those. I'm not sure which route I'll want to go so I'll read up on those sites. Thanks so much! :]

No prob :) - Actually that was another reason why I did that... I had prior experience with it, so it was easier and quicker to do :D

does anyone know where to get decent rock for cave building? I haven't found anything in Lowes or Wal-mart... :cry: At this rate I may just have to get flower pots or something.. I found these pots that are white, rouched and look sorta roman, at lowes. I'm starting to wonder if I should just get those and put them into my tank (current tank pic below). What do you guys think 3-4 loaches would appreciate most in a 45G tall tank decoration-wise? I know they like a lot of hiding places but any suggestions on what to make/buy and where I can find them? Thanks

Oh yeah... if anyone has experience as to what would be best... how many weather loaches should I have in this tank? thanks!

well I just thought of an idea.. I know plants won't very well stick down into the substrate.. so i am going to strip the plant of leaves up to about an inch or two from the bottom, and silicon the bare end to a suction cup to stick to the bottom. I definately like the plant on the left.. especially with the sand that I have... think I will get another one of those to put into the tank. Now all I need to do is find rocks to silicon caves into! Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

I'm surprised Lowes doesn't have any slate. What about a local building supply place? Just make sure the slate isn't treated with anything and it should be fine.

yeah okay i know this may not be that bright, but please remind me... I saw texas holey rock.. it is perfect for these guys!... but of course there's a downfall. Supposedly laoches can take a pretty varied pH, btu I want them comfortable and happy. Would gettng Texas Holey Rock be that bad of an idea... its known for raising or buffering pH. I just love all of those holes and the such.. would make great nooks and hiding places for the little buggers!

what do you guys think of me getting 3 dojo loaches, and possibly adding like 6 tiger barbs or so in the tank as well to take up SOME room in the top of the 45G tall tank? If not the barbs any other suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom