Dojo/Weather Loachs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He's quite likely hiding in some decor in the tank. Clowns can be pretty timid initially, and if there is only one its even worse (they need to be in groups of at least 3 to be happy). They will stuff themselves into teeny tiny spaces. They're also supposed to be nocturnal (although my guys never got that memo, and wake up at sunrise and go to sleep around 7 pm LOL).

I don't have that much decor, and he's not tiny. I think I'm going to grab a couple more in a little while. There are places to hide, I made sure of that this time. I suppose he'll show up sometime. I won't worry unless it's a while from now. There are plenty of snails to keep him fed. :)

-j

I had a tiger loach (botia hymenophysa). It was very brutal and dominated the tank until it met an untimely demise at the hands of my children. It had a very nice pattern and did not care to take any specific territory.

I have a sun loach (botia eos) which became very territorial as soon as the tiger loach was gone. Constantly picking on the skunk loaches. I moved it to the 10gallon tank when I introduced my rams to the 29gallon. This guy "flashed" his "blades" at me one time when we were looking at eachother.

There are two skunk loaches (botia morleti) in my 29 gallon. Due to my large initial population of snails they have grown quite fast. While they occassionaly bother the corys (just the dominate skunk really) they usually don't act too aggressively. I may be moving these guys to my 10 gallon with the sun loach as it was less reclusive when it had some other loaches to bully around. Only the submissive skunk will lay on its side and only when the dominate skunk is nearby. It is great to watch these guys going after flake food.

I have just recently acquired a yo-yo loach (botia almorhae). This was actually the loach I wanted but I could not find it for awhile (except at extortionist prices). Less aggressive than any other loaches I have had and also less reclusive. This guy will try to school with the skunks or the SAEs and they swim away thinking it is being aggressive. This guy exhibits the sleeping sideways behavior that loaches are known for and upon initial introduction he spent the first few hours searching every plant for snails.

I have two regualr dojo's and a golden dojo. The regular dojos stay hidden most of the time where my golden dojo is active during the day. YMMV

FYI, I saw my loach today. He must have burrowed. Sure enough, it was around 7 that he disappeared today too. Like clockwork these guys are!

-j

I love my dojo loach. I havent had mine burrow that I know of, but I love watching him swim in the tank. And I swear it is like he will watch me at times.

I got two more last week, and they do seem much happier. I even see them during the day now, and sometimes at night. That leaning thing is weird. Last night one of them was just leaning against the glass...totally reminded me of a dog. :) But I'm very happy with them now. I'm also trying to gather snails from my guppy tank and putting them in this tank, but as fast as I put them in, I can't find them anymore. Looks like someone's hungry!

These clown loaches have officially lasted longer than any other clown loaches I've purchased.

-j

My kuhli loach is a dud and wont play in my sand :-( Or maybe he is now because he is AWOL :) He should know to only do it when I am watching though since that is why I bought him, team players they are not.

thatlouguy said:
Anyone have any info on where they got the name "Clown".
Actually surpisingly..I do...
Though "funny" guys...
The designation clown for the most species named that is usually named for a stripe down the eye. Traditional clown makeup used to have a diamond shaped over the each eye. And the naming trend spread into all types of animal species. Button like markings (clouded spots) and garish mouths also could earn an animal that name. But not as often as the eye marks. And animals with eye marks are very often striped.

Just one of those stupid trivial pursit blurbs read in some biology paper or encyclopedia that stuck..^_^

Back
Top Bottom