Dojos and Clowns VS. MTS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hsherman1986

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do the mts stand a chance? I have some in my 2 20g, but neither of those have any sort of loaches. I just changed my 55 over to 1/2 sand 1/2 gravel, and would like to add some of the babies that I now have to keep the sand stirred up, but I don't know if they will survive against the dojos and clowns i already have in that tank.

I thought I had heard something once that MTS usually weren't touched by loaches, but figured I would double check just to be sure before I threw a handful of baby mts in there. Don't want to throw them into a death chamber, if that is what it will be for them

TIA!

I have 5 clowns and 2 dojo's. About a month ago I threw in some mts and have not see them since. I dont know if they are buried in the sand or if the loaches got them. But I do know that I never see them.

I'd think they'd be eaten, gradually if not immediately. MTS have hard shells, true, but loaches dont eat shells (large clowns might swallow them and crunch them whole, but other loaches wont), they just suck the snail right out of them.

So, I'd say get a couple of kuhli loaches: they are not a sociable fish so you could keep 2-3, and they will burrow in the sand and keep it aerated.

Looks like coldmachine is right. I inspected my tank and found an empty MTS shell. Looks like it was sucked right out of it's shell.

ok, i wasn't sure. I was watching the dojo's last night, and they burrow through the sand a little bit, but they dont bury themselves. Will this be enough, or should I sitll get a couple kuhlis?

kuhlis are pretty useless unless you have tiny snails, if anything, i'd just put in the extra dollar and get another dojo.

and aside from that, kuhlis just hide constantly and never come out

i am confused by your comment, hc8719. I am not trying to rid any of my tanks of snails, or control the population (yet). I am trying to aerate the sand.

One topic of dojo's though, do the golden dojo's get to be the same size as the spotted, or are they smaller or bigger?

hsherman1986 said:
i am confused by your comment, hc8719. I am not trying to rid any of my tanks of snails, or control the population (yet). I am trying to aerate the sand.

One topic of dojo's though, do the golden dojo's get to be the same size as the spotted, or are they smaller or bigger?

ohh then kuhlis might be the fish for you, i have pebbles, so mine dont dig, but i have ones in sand do it. i kinda despise them, but thats me.

i thought golden dojos might get onlu 8" last time i saw them labeled at the lfs, but i might be wrong, regular dojos get 12" right?

Back
Top Bottom