Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2005, 06:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
Donating Plasma for fish money?

For xmas I want to get my boyfriend a 55gal setup.. and I know even a good deal will run me about $400. I have no job what so ever, and I know it will be hard enough on my parents at Xmas time. So, I was thinking about donating my plasma. I get $150-20 the first time.. and like $25-35 the next time.

I think I can donate once a week.... so in a month thats close to $100.

Has anyone donated plasma?
Would you considering doing it to support this hobby?

lyquidphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 07:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I didn't know they still paid for blood components. The fear would be that people would lie about their medical history, lifestyle, drug use etc. so they could get paid. I know you wouldn't do that, but a drug addict might. Then there is the risk that blood borne pathogens like hepatitis or aids could get into the supply. Testing could miss someone early in the disease, and there is always a chance that the donor would have a virus they don't know about yet or don't have a test for. I suppose if the plasma is being donated for research, and not transfusion into patients, it would be ok. Whats it being used for? Otherwise, if you want to help the cause, get a little money, and buy fish, sounds like a win - win situation.

Old 09-20-2005, 08:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Donating plasma is not something you want to do often. You could scar your veins and loose too much iron. Trying to make $400 off your own plasma between now and xmas is dangerous in my opinoin. I would look for alternate ways to make money.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Andos99
Plasma donation is very painful and doesn't pay as much as you think. I did it a few times in college for drinking money. In my opinion, not worth it. You'd be better off getting him something less expensive....I'm sure he'll understand.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You donated plasma for DRINKING MONEY!!!!!! OMG! 8O 8O 8O 8O That is too crazy. That reminds me of a friend I had in college. I went over to her apartment and she had no electricity. Everything in the fridge was rotten cause she didn't pay her bill but she had smokes and a case of beer! :P
Old 09-20-2005, 08:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

It was just an idea, and I appreciate all your negative comments about it- it brings me back to earth! It was just a thought.. but I wasn't sure how painful it would be.. and i completely forgot about losing iron (im already borderline anemic).

Thanks for the imput guys!

oh, and donating for drinking money is pretty funny! Thats prolly why we have a plasma center here.. its a college town

Old 09-20-2005, 08:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

If they can draw off the plasma only, and not the red blood cells, I don't think your iron or anemia would be effected. But the usual way to get plasma is to draw off whole blood, then centrifuge it down and seperate the red blood cells and the plasma. Membranes that would take the plasma only and not the red blood cells would be more costly, but that would be the only way you could donate so frequently, unless they are only taking a small amount each time. I remain puzzled, but in agreement with talloulou, not worth it. If just for all the needle sticks.

I thought about this a bit after my earlier post, and realize that I wouldn't do it, so its silly to say to go ahead to someone else. A one time donation, sure, but not that frequently. Unless you feel strongly about the cause the plasma is needed for, but then the cash is secondary, right?. Earlier approval hereby recanted if not supporting a cause you believe in. Thanks for getting me thinking about it Talloulou.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just hope your boyfriends knows how much you love him! To donate a bunch of blood just to get him a fish tank is quite extreme!

I think he should definitely be happy with a small maybe 15gal. Even if he already has one - more place to breed fishes!

It should be most important that you are together for Christmas anyway!
Old 09-20-2005, 09:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, he has a 29gal and he says "no more fish tanks" so it would be to replace his 29gal.. so I was thinking 55.

He is just so hard to shop for, this would be a really nice present as opposed to clothes, or getting him something he doesn't like

Old 09-20-2005, 09:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

BTW- this is the aquarium I want to get him-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

its difficult because I don't know if I should pass up this deal in hopes of finding a better one.. or something

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com