Don't know what to do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xabien

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello.

I recently bought a new tank to transfer the fish from my old tank to it. When my older tank which is a 33 gallon, was free I was going to set up a cichlid tank. But now I'm thinking that maybe it isn;t big enough. I wanted some nice colourfull fish in there. Anyway. Do you think the tank would be big enough and how many would I be able to have? if not what other more interesting choices of tank are there? I was thinking maybe discus but I saw a massive one of them the other day and it scared me a bit 8O thanks alot.

Research, research, research! There are tons of cichlids out there. My fiancé and I had many in a 29 gal before upgrading to an 80 gal. If you want cichlids--look into rams, or checkerboard cichlids--generally peaceful and will fit nicely in a 33 gal.

You could have some really beautiful rams in there, or shell dwelling cichlids, or convicts even. There are hundreds of cichlid species available for aquaria, and many are small enough for that size tank.

Yep, agreed. Look up Neolamprologus spp. for Tanganyikan (African Rift Lake) small cichlids, many of which are shell-dwellers. Also, look up Kribensis (Pelvicachromis pulcher and other species), as these are relatively peaceful, and would do well in a tank this size (they grow to about 4"). These are also African Cichlids, but do not come from the rift lakes, and do not require the same high pH as those rift lake cichlids do. And, a 33 is to small for some of the more popular cichlids, such as Discus, Angelfish and Lake Malawi, most Lake Tanganyika and Lake Victoria cichlids. These species are quite aggressive and grow to 5+ inches.

i keep blue german rams which i think are some of the most beautiful fish. they aren't very big, and in general are regarded as not as aggressive as other cichlids. i think they grow to about 3" MAX

Back
Top Bottom