Dont wafff at me dont cawl me naaames

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishalicious

Aquarium Advice Freak
Dont laugh at meeeee :evil:

This is probably going to make me
look really stupid but hey whatever.

My tank is in my bedroom. Lets say my bedroom is at 60 degrees F right now and my tank is at 78. If I turn the heat up in my room to 70-75 degrees w/out lowering the heater temp down on the tank, will my tank be around 88+ degrees?

I'd assume that a tank would adjust to room temp after some time. But if the tank is already being heated at 78 and the room temp is at 75 then would my visi-therm heater know not to work as hard and all would be fine? I'd think that as long as I didn't go over that 78 mark in my room then all would be fine.
I have a 55 gallon and a 10 gallon in there.

If I'm wrong, then whats my best bet of keeping the tank temp constant if I'm not always going to have the room heated (I shut off the heat when I leave the house) or as I stated before, would the heater just 'know' ?

TIA.
-Dan

The only stupid question is one that is not asked...

Your room temperature will have no effect on your tank if you have a heater in there as long as your room temp is not above the tank temp. Since your heater is adjustable, just leave it set at the current setting and as long as you don't raise your room temp. past 78 then your tank won't go above it.

Thanks Alot!

I figured that's how it would work, but before I started using the heat in my room (IM FRICKEN FREEEEEZING!!!!) I wanted to make sure.

Thanks for the piece of mind.

-Dan

no prob...i live in the basement so i know what you mean. i woke up the other night and my room was 59. i turned the heat on and it got up to 70 in a couple hours. Woke up the next day and the tank temp. didn't fluctuate one bit...

In fact your heater will work less when you heat the room. The thermostat on your heater controls when it's on or off by sensing temperature fluctuations in the tank. It waits until the temperature falls below the set point to turn the heating element on.

Now THAT just sounds like a more realistic option..

::throwing on my scuba gear::

oh, wait! I only have a 55!

Maybe when I get my 150 African tank I can lay down in there with them. Well, if I drop the water level quite a bit before hand! :p

Thanks Guys!

Dont wafff at me dont cawl me naaames

I love your post subject. Thanks for the chuckle. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.... :D
Good luck warming up!

P.S. I wasn't laughing at you...I was laughing errrr....at you...sorry. :oops:

hahahaha. I'm always here and ready for a good laugh!
I'm glad I made you chuckle. Made me smile right back.
Having a sense of humor OWNS!!

Edit: BTW, what part of MA u from?

:silly: -Dan

Dan,
I'm from the part of MA nobody knows about. Tucked up in the northwest corner. :cry:

I have to stop looking at that title...If I keep laughing this hard the men in white coats are going to show up and take me away. :lol:

Naw don't worry. They're probably too busy watching the Sox game and too hammered to even THINK about doing anything.

Plus if they do come, I'll shoot 'em down for ya! :2gunfire:

-Dan

LOL smallfry...I will tell my boss you said so. He is very, very excited! Maybe I will get a raise today?!?!

Ummm...excuse me moderator...could you please move this topic to the 'OFF ON A TANGENT' category???? :lol:

smallfry said:
Hey Verucaproduce and Dan,

Just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS RED SOX!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

(I'm from Salem, MA)

Thanks alot! Glad to finally meet ppl on this forum from MA.
Salem and Lowell aren't too far. You must be fed up with all of the people coming to your town around this time of year (Halloween).
I still haven't been. Am I missing out on anything?

-Dan

Dan -
you are DEFINITELY NOT missing anything by staying away from Salem this time of year! :roll:

(Except traffic, as spence said)

Back
Top Bottom