Dorm Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paty

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I still haven't found an aquarium yet, but as I was thinking about this I came across another problem. I'm a college student and will be living in an on- campus college apartment, so we still have to move out for the entire month of December. My question is, would it be feasible to get an aquarium for the apartment that would have to go without maintenance for a month, and that would have to be moved out after 9 months?

A month is a long time to not tend to your aquarium. A week or so is doable, but I don't know about a month. It is feasible to move it home with you for a month though.

I did it in college. 10 gallon, low light live plants, low bioload of hardy fish--all the things that lead to a stable tank that doesn't need such constant maintanence. I set it up at the beginning of the school year so it was quite stable by December. Left it over the holidays. Moved it to my apartment the next summer. Didn't lose any fish. It's one of those things that could work fine or could fail miserably. Also probably depends on your tank experience (I had kept fish for years at that point).

I'm looking at doing the same thing. What would be the procedure for moving a 29-gal freshwater aquarium home for break?

We are moving our oldest and his nano home next week. He's a college student too. (Pat8You on this site) If you can wait a few days, we'll let you know if our plan works. We are going to use battery backups, airstones, ammolock (as needed) and 5 gallon buckets to move fish and corals from FL to IL by car. My son has a detailed plan which I'm sure he'll share. I believe he's emptying most of the water (keeping just enough for live rock and sand), then transferring fish/corals and appropriate water with above equipment to buckets. He can carry buckets in when/if they stop for the night. We'll post after he's home to let you all know the success/failure rate. We also have a power inverter that plugs into the cigarette lighter to run pumps if need be. The trick will be to reset up without the sand nasties.

I feel a month is too long to leave them on their own, even with the best automatic feeder around. Water changes have to be considered as well as any unexpected temperature fluctuations just to name a few. Besides who is to say that these unchaperoned fish won't steal your credit card and max it out. If it is any help, my first tank was a 10gal starter set - I was a kid of no more than 11 and every summer I would have to take this tank on the road for a 3 hour road trip to where some poor family member (who drew the short straw) lived. The fish (2 pink kissers, 1 algae eater, and 3 mollies) always made the trip up and back fine. And with all the new filtration available now I think it will be a breeze.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I figured a month was a little too long, but I'm going to try and find a way to make it work. I'm not even sure if the apartments work like the dorms do, I might not even have to completely move out of them like I would in the dorms, and then I could keep up with the tank.

We are moving our oldest and his nano home next week. He's a college student too. (Pat8You on this site) If you can wait a few days, we'll let you know if our plan works. We are going to use battery backups, airstones, ammolock (as needed) and 5 gallon buckets to move fish and corals from FL to IL by car. My son has a detailed plan which I'm sure he'll share. I believe he's emptying most of the water (keeping just enough for live rock and sand), then transferring fish/corals and appropriate water with above equipment to buckets. He can carry buckets in when/if they stop for the night. We'll post after he's home to let you all know the success/failure rate. We also have a power inverter that plugs into the cigarette lighter to run pumps if need be. The trick will be to reset up without the sand nasties.

Please let me know how that works out! : )

Well what I really want is a 29 gal tank, do you all think I should just wait until I'm in an actual apartment that doesn't require me to move out for the entire month of December for that? I might go ahead and set up a 10 gal and bring my goldfish Captain back to school with me. : )

The call and power of the fish addiction is strong - believe me I know - I had 28 years clean - no fish tank - then I relapses and bought a tank. And now I'm addicted again. I know you really, really, really want a 29gal tank - but that is a big boy to break down and move back and forth between breaks. I'm not saying it's impossible - just that it's a big boy to move around. I know the addictions wants bigger and more but maybe you can keep from Jonesing with the 10gal until you move into a permanent apartment -- Good luck with whatever you decide and let us know what you did decide :scrambleup:

The call and power of the fish addiction is strong - believe me I know - I had 28 years clean - no fish tank - then I relapses and bought a tank. And now I'm addicted again. I know you really, really, really want a 29gal tank - but that is a big boy to break down and move back and forth between breaks. I'm not saying it's impossible - just that it's a big boy to move around. I know the addictions wants bigger and more but maybe you can keep from Jonesing with the 10gal until you move into a permanent apartment -- Good luck with whatever you decide and let us know what you did decide :scrambleup:

It's true, aquaria is quite the addiction! I really want a bigger aquarium, but if for some reason I can't make this work I would just go with the smaller aquarium. I wouldn't want to put my fish through horrible conditions, or worse lose them. Maybe I'll just focus on the little guy that got me into this hobby, my Captain! lol Either way I will keep everyone informed on what I decide, I'm sure I'll need some help somewhere down the line. : ) Thanks for the advice.

I ended up draining about half or so of the water out of my tank and buckling them into the back seat. If its to heavy to carry they you can drain more out and then put it back in once its in the car. It worked out well i didn't loose any fish or corals but we put a bit to much water in there and some sloshed out and got things a bit yet. Make sure you just pack a bunch of towels around the tank. Good luck.

edit: I'll actually be staying at SIU in carbondale this summer visiting some friends. what are you studying?

I'm in college also so I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I'm not required to completely move out during December so my situation is a bit different, (I can even stay over the summer if I pay rent and sign a summer contract). I'm technically limited to a 1.5 gal. fish tank, but I have a betta in a 5 gal.

I just moved home last week, and what I did was to partially empty the 5 gal. enough to put it back into the box it came in, pack it up nice and tight. Transfered the betta to his old 1 gal. tank and he sat in my lap for the ride home. Worked out pretty well, I set his tank up when I got home and got him a new plant to make up for the stress.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I found out that I don't have to move out for the month of December, so I think I will set up my planted tank. I'm pretty excited about it, but I'm still trying to find a tank right now. I'm kind of broke, so I'm going to wait until I have some cash saved up. I'll let you know how the setting up/transferring process goes. Thanks again for the tips. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I found out that I don't have to move out for the month of December, so I think I will set up my planted tank. I'm pretty excited about it, but I'm still trying to find a tank right now. I'm kind of broke, so I'm going to wait until I have some cash saved up. I'll let you know how the setting up/transferring process goes. Thanks again for the tips. :)

Sometimes you can find a really good deal on Craigslist or you local paper. Looking forward to seeing posts on your progress!

Back
Top Bottom