Dorm room tank ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hamburgler

Aquarium Advice Activist
So last semester i did the 10g thing on my desk...it was real nice until it came time to move it. Moving fish tanks sucks as you all know.
But it just seems kind of boring without it and i would really miss the filter noise. Plus there is always something to do even if its just a water change, its just something to do and enjoy.

So does anyone have any suggestions? Setup will be:
2.5 (possibly 5.5) glass tank
whisper 30 with adjusted flow
gravel, driftwood, etc.
heater if necessary

I am not interested in doing a pico/nano reef. I'm looking for something different, along the lines of shrimp or crabs of some sort. I can get anything through the store i work at too. Brackish or freshwater is cool.

Thanks!

I don't wanna call anyone names, but my skinny 130lb butt managed to lug a 20g show tank through 4 years of college (along w/ an old 55g reptile tank, cinder blocks, shelf boards...).

squawkbert said:
I don't wanna call anyone names, but my skinny 130lb butt managed to lug a 20g show tank through 4 years of college (along w/ an old 55g reptile tank, cinder blocks, shelf boards...).

Well its not the work of doing so...its that i want something new to try and i want more desk room (actually some desk room period) this semester since i have my laptop on their too. Not to mention we have 4 bikes in the standard double room.

I go home on the weekends to work at a fish shop, and have a cichlid tank at home. So i get enough fish if you ask me.

A 10 could fit easily on a microwave or TV cart w/o breaking it. If you have a little floorspace for that... or a smaller DP tank?

Nah not interested in doing fish. Want to keep it small...i'm using spare equipment.

Hammer's Cobalt Blue Lobster
p_89576.jpg

LiveAquaria's link

Tank might be too small though.

I'd go with the 5.5 for a minimum size, and stock some java moss/fern, cherry shrimp, spixi snails, and possibly a dwarf crayfish. That's similar to my 10 gallon setup, which currently houses several hundred shrimp (mostly young ones). A dwarf cajun crayfish will happily eat baby snails and eggs, but won't bother the shrimp, and spixi eggs are easy to remove if they become overabundant (unlike ramshorns).

I'm pretty sure any type of crayfish will be too big for a 2-5gal.

Definatly go with shrimp! Thats what Im going to do with my 3gal =o)

How about just keeping it simple with some low light live plants, a few rocks, and school of neon or cardinal tetras? It's simple, easy, low bio-load, and low waste set-up.

Ok change of plans...i'm gonna do the 20g as a grow out for my bigger tank at home.

Back
Top Bottom