Downsizing my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheyenne52883

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am currently looking at downsizing my freshwater tank. I currently have a 55 gallon aquarium and was looking at possibly going to a 10 gallon aquarium.

The reason is because I share an apartment with my roommate and therefore have the tank in my room... It just takes up so much floor space...

I have a dwarf pleco (3in), dojo loach (4in), 2 danios (1/2 in each), 1 neon (1/2 in), 2 tetras (1 in each) and a fiddler crab. Is this going to be too much for a 10 gallon tank?

borderline, I'd say, but pushing it. They are all pretty peaceable so that helps but I'm not sure about that fiddler crab

Well they are all currently living together in the 55g and doing fine.

The fiddler crab is pretty harmless... He is the one-armed wonder. At one time he dissappeared for like a month. Tore apart the tank looking for him with no luck. He then suddenly reappeared and was missing one of his legs. Now instead of a small claw and a big claw he only has the big claw. I think he must have gotten into my filter somehow or something.

That is too much for a 10 gallon tank. Fish need swimming room. You said Neons and Tetras. Neons are Tetras unless I'm mistaken and you are referring to a different type of fish. Plus Tetras are schooling fish and belong in groups. Please give us more details about what you are trying to accomplish and what your current setup is in the 55 gallon.

If you have a few favorite fish, you could keep those few and return the rest to the LFS....that might make a smaller tank more feasible. Going from a 55 to a 10 is a big jump...what about a 29 gallon, which is 30" long, instead of the 48" of the 55? That would give you a lot more options than the 10g, which is really tiny.

theotheragentm said:
That is too much for a 10 gallon tank. Fish need swimming room. You said Neons and Tetras. Neons are Tetras unless I'm mistaken and you are referring to a different type of fish. Plus Tetras are schooling fish and belong in groups. Please give us more details about what you are trying to accomplish and what your current setup is in the 55 gallon.

I have neons and another type of tetra. I don’t know what kind they are.

My current goal is to downgrade to a smaller tank and eventually have it planted.

My current setup is just a 55g tank, gravel bottom, fake plants, filter, air pump and florescent aquarium bulbs. All of the fish listed above are currently in the 55g. A few of the neons and danios have died over the last 6-8 months and I have not replaced them because I intended on downsizing my tank.

newfound77951 said:
If you have a few favorite fish, you could keep those few and return the rest to the LFS....that might make a smaller tank more feasible. Going from a 55 to a 10 is a big jump...what about a 29 gallon, which is 30" long, instead of the 48" of the 55? That would give you a lot more options than the 10g, which is really tiny.

Sorry I am new here and don't know what LFS means?

I already have a 10g that's why I picked that size plus it will fit in the area where I need to put it.

I would add to the neon which are beautiful in a planted tank and keep the other tetras and the pleco and return the rest to the LFS ( local fish store) sometimes they will give you store credit for your fish or just give them a good home. You might think about a smaller 5 gallon for the fiddler crab and set up a crab habitat.
welcome to the AA.

I did a little research and the "other tetras" are pristella tetras... I don't know if that helps.

mom2reds said:
I would add to the neon which are beautiful in a planted tank and keep the other tetras and the pleco and return the rest to the LFS ( local fish store) sometimes they will give you store credit for your fish or just give them a good home. You might think about a smaller 5 gallon for the fiddler crab and set up a crab habitat.
welcome to the AA.

So what exactly is involved in a crab habitat?

Ok. I have sone some research on Fiddlers and have him set up in a temp setup that is more to his liking (sand and salt with somewhere to climb out).

I am thinking that I need to exchange some at my LFS in order to downsize and to make proper schools.

Does anyone know Petsmart and/or Petco's policies on fish returns/exchanges?

My petsmart does not take fish back for exchange. I don't know about petco I would suggest calling and asking just to save a little on gas. Good luck with everything I bet the crab will be happier

have a dwarf pleco (3in), dojo loach (4in), 2 danios (1/2 in each), 1 neon (1/2 in), 2 tetras (1 in each) and a fiddler crab. Is this going to be too much for a 10 gallon tank?

If you are going to keep the 10g, then you could have the danios and neons in there. I'd return the pleco, the loach, and the pristellas. If you don't have a permanent home for the Fiddler, you may want to return it as well.

Dojo loaches can reach 8-10 inches and DO NOT belong in a 10g. I'm not sure what type of pleco you have, but I'm assuming it will get atleast a couple more inches. It needs a bigger tank than a 10g. Pristellas are pretty big tetras and would do much better in a bigger tank.

Keep the danios and neons, increase their numbers until you have 4 of each...plant the tank and enjoy. :)

You may need to find a fish store that is locally owned (not a chain store) and see if they'll take your fish...maybe they'll give you some store credit for them.

Back
Top Bottom